How To Make Simple Butternut Squash Gnocchi
Once you have ready your butternut squash mash, making gnocchi is a breeze. Place the mash into a large bowl, season with nutmeg, salt and pepper and stir in the flour. Knead gently until all flour is incorporated and you have soft dough.
Now it's time to shape gnocchi. For rolling gnocchi you will need dusted work surface and dough scraper. Divide the dough into 3 pieces and roll each piece into a log 1cm thick. Using a dough scraper cut small pillows - 2cm long. Roll gnocchi against a gnocchi board or a back of the fork. Arrange gnocchi on a lightly floured lined baking tray and let them dry for 1 hour.
The key to light and fluffy gnocchi is to take out as much as moisture possible from the mash and incorporating as little flour in the dough as possible. The dough should be soft and slightly sticky but you should be able to shape gnocchi. The trick is to keep work surface and gnocchi dusted with flour.
Serving Butternut Squash Gnocchi
Once gnocchi are prepared, they are quickly cooked in a large amount of water. They can be served in a variety of ways. We love them saute in butter and fresh rosemary sauce (swap rosemary for sage or your favourite herb). Simple and delicious meal!
Freezing Butternut Squash Gnocchi
If you don't want to cook them immediately, you can freeze them. Just arrange gnocchi on baking tray and place in the freezer then transfer to a freezer bag. When you want to cook them, don't thaw, just boil frozen until the gnocchi comes to the surface.
Butternut Squash Gnocchi
SERVES: 2 SERVINGS
COOKS IN: 1 HOUR
- 1 medium-sized butternut squash (around 800g)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, freshly ground
- 200g plain flour
- FOR BUTTERNUT SQUASH MASH, preheat the oven to 200 C and line baking tray with baking paper.
- Cut butternut squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Place on the baking tray with cut side up, brush with some olive oil and bake until very soft - 50 - 60 minutes.
- Scoop out the flash and using a spatula force it through a fine sieve into a medium bowl. Place in a saucepan and stir over a medium heat until reduced to dense mass that comes away from the sides of pan - for about 5 minutes. Leave to cool.
- Place the mash into a bowl then season with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Mix in the egg and flour. You should get a soft pliable dough.
- TO MAKE GNOCCHI, divide the dough in 3 pieces. Dust the work surface, take one piece of dough and roll it into a log 1.5cm thick. Cut the logs into pillows about 2cm long.
- TO COOK GNOCCHI, bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, then using a slotted spoon drop 5 -6 gnocchi to the water. Cook until they float, then remove, drain and place in a bowl. Serve with your favourite sauce.