Orange Curd Thumbprint Cookies
These cookies marry crumbly almond pastry with creamy and zesty orange curd. Cookies are so easy to make and are amazingly delicious.
These amazing cookies combine crumbly almond pastry with zesty orange curd, which is always a winner. Plus, they look so attractive and are ideal addition to any cookie tray. Cookies are done quickly - in only 30 minutes, you will assemble these citrus cookies.
If you are a huge fan of citrus curds like us, you will love our recipes for Easter lemon curd cookies or lemon hazelnut tarts.
how to make orange curd thumbprint cookies
These cookies is made of crumbly dough topped with zesty homemade orange curd. Making them start with making orange curd, then while it cools, we will prepare simple dough enriched with toasted almonds.
how to make orange curd
Orange curd is a very rich spread with intense orange flavour and made of only 5 ingredients: eggs, oranges, sugar and butter. This recipe uses combination of eggs and egg yolks, which makes the curd something between gelatinous and cream.
For the curd, first grate orange zest and squeeze oranges to get fresh orange juice. Place both in a heavy-based saucepan while in one bowl whisk eggs, egg yolks and sugar.
Cook gently on a low-heat stirring continuously until it thickens. In the end, add cubed butter and stir until melted. To get silky orange curd, strain through the fine sieve. Cover with cling film and leave in the fridge until ready to use.
how to make the crumbly dough
The dough for these cookies is simple. First toast lightly almonds in the oven and chop finely. In this recipe we use a mix of spelt and plain flours which we combine together with baking powder and salt.
Cream butter and sugar in one bowl, add egg, Amaretto and freshly grated orange zest. Now, add gradually flours and chopped almonds into butter/egg mixture and form a dough.
best selling kitchen tools & gadgets
shaping & baking cookies
Shaping cookies is so easy. Just pinch a dough of the size of walnut and roll between the palms. Place on baking tray and press indentation in each ball. Bake for 8 - 10 minutes, then once they are done (they should be soft when taken from the oven), press again into the centre of each cookie so you have more room for orange curd. Once cookies are completely cool, using teaspoon fill each cookie with orange curd.
storing orange curd thumbprint cookies
These thumbprint cookies are the best on the same day but stay fresh at room temperature for up to 1 day or in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Looking for more cookie recipes?
For more cookie inspiration, take a look at our collection of yummy cookie recipes. Also check out our selection of interesting gluten-free cookies, too.
shop Kitchen essentials for this recipe
Digital Kitchen Scale | Mixing Bowls | Citrus Zester | Heavy-Based Saucepan | Wire Whisk | Mini Food Processor | Electric Hand Mixer | Baking Tray | Baking Paper Sheets | Cookie Spatula | Cooling Rack
Orange curd thumbprint cookies
MAKES: 24 cookies
COOKS IN: 30 minutes plus cooling time
For the cookies
- 100g whole almonds
- 90g plain flour
- 90g whole grain spelt flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of fine sea salt
- 120g butter, at room temperature
- 70g demerara sugar
- 1 medium egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of grated orange zest
For the orange curd
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 120ml orange juice (2 organic oranges)
- 2 tablespoons of grated orange zest
- 80g caster sugar
- 60g butter
- FOR THE ORANGE CURD, finely grated orange zest and then squeeze them to get a juice.
- Whisk eggs, egg yolks and sugar in one bowl.
- Pour the juice into a heavy-bottomed pan, then add orange zest and mixture of egg yolks and sugar. Place over a low heat until hot but not boiling. Cook gently on a low heat, stirring continuously until it thickens (7 - 8 minutes).
- Remove from the heat and stir in cubed butter. Whisk until you get a smooth texture. Pour the curd through a sieve to remove the zest.
- Place cling film directly on top of the curd to prevent skin from forming on the top. The curd will continue to thicken as it cools. Use orange curd as you wish or pour into sterilised jars and store in the fridge.
- FOR THE COOKIES, preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F). Arrange the almonds in a single layer on baking tray and toast for about 5 - 6 minutes, stirring them every 2 minutes. They are done when they are fragrant and lightly brown.
- Cool nuts completely and finely chop them using sharp knife or in food processor. Set aside. Rise oven temperature to 175°C (347°F) and line baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine plain flour, whole grain spelt flour, chopped almonds and baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Beat softened butter and demerara sugar using electric hand mixer on a medium speed until creamy. Add egg, vanilla extract and grated orange zest and continue to mix on a high speed for a few minutes.
- Add dry ingredients in two additions, mixing on a low speed just until incorporated.
- Scoop the dough into 2-cm balls using a teaspoon. Roll between the palms into balls and place on the prepared baking tray leaving some space between. Using your thumb or the end of a wooden spoon, gently press an indentation into the centre of each ball.
- Bake for 6 - 7 minutes then remove from the oven and using the end of a spatula press gently again into the centre of each cookie.
- Return to the oven and continue to bake for another 4 - 5 minutes. Cookies should be lightly brown. Let the cookies, which will be very soft, cool for 4 - 5 minutes on the baking tray then remove them to a wire rack to cool completely.
© Secret Recipe Notebook owns the copyright on all images and text and does not allow for its original recipes and pictures to be reproduced anywhere other than at this site unless authorization is given.
Jun 04, 21 01:20 PM
Make these white chocolate mousse raspberry tarts!
May 29, 21 02:02 PM
You are going to love this refreshing lemon almond cheesecake. Amazing combination of almond crust and zesty lemon filling makes this cheesecake so adorable.
May 23, 21 02:24 PM
You are going to love these fudgy chocolate hazelnut lava cakes. Serve them with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream!
May 16, 21 12:56 PM
These summer flatbread pizza comes together quickly. It's loaded with colourful summer veggies plus mozzarella. Easy summer meal!
May 06, 21 09:42 AM
These fudgy hazelnut brownies are a true paradise for chocolate lovers. Rich and decadent and enriched with toasted hazelnuts, these brownies are best served with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.