Potato cakes with ham
These simple potato cakes are so delicious they will vanish from the table in a minutes. These potato cakes have a few ingredients but are a great dish to a variety of meals.
With only 4 ingredients plus seasoning and parsley, these little snacks are ideal for any occasion. You can serve them as warm breakfast along scrambled eggs or a light lunch with a bowl of green salad. They may turn into a special lunch topped with soft-boiled eggs. Or you can eat them on their own right from the pan. You can serve them with fried mushrooms or grilled tomatoes.
top tips for making potato cakes with ham
- Mash potatoes when you want to make potato cakes, not in advance.
- You may need an extra tablespoon or two of flour, depending on the potatoes you use.
- Dust your hands while shaping the cakes for easier handling the cakes.
- Shape potato cakes in the rounds of 6cm in diameter and 1.5cm thick. Don't make them too thin.
- Cook them about 3 - 4 minutes on each side, so they become crisp and golden.
Add any of these for the extra flavour of potato cakes.
- Herbs, such as chopped parsley, chives, soft thyme, lovage or chervil.
- Sliced spring onions, finely diced shallots, or sautéed chopped onions and/or leeks.
- A little finely chopped garlic.
- Good pinch of English mustard powder.
- Handful of grated cheese.
- Some crumbled leftover cooked bacon, or even sausage, haggis or black pudding. Or try a few bits of shredded ham.
looking for more appetizers to try?
Potato cakes with ham
MAKES: 12 potato cakes
COOKS IN: 30 minutes
- 350g potatoes
- 30 - 40g plain flour
- 1 egg
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- chopped parsley
- 100g smoked ham, cutted into smaller pieces
- olive oil for frying
- Peel and dice the potatoes. Put in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the potatoes and return to the pan and mash using potato masher. Leave to cool slightly then transfer everything to a medium bowl.
- Sift the flour over the mashed potatoes and mix well. Add an egg, season with salt and pepper, add chopped parsley and cutted ham. Stir everything until combined.
- Scoop the mixture using a tablespoon then with floured hands flatten gently into discs (6cm in diameter, 1.5cm high). Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on a non-stick frying pan and fry over a medium heat for 3 - 4 minutes on each side until golden. Serve while still warm!
Drain the potato cakes on kitchen paper and keep them warm in a low oven while you cook the rest.
Jun 04, 21 01:20 PM
Make these white chocolate mousse raspberry tarts!
May 29, 21 02:02 PM
You are going to love this refreshing lemon almond cheesecake. Amazing combination of almond crust and zesty lemon filling makes this cheesecake so adorable.
May 23, 21 02:24 PM
You are going to love these fudgy chocolate hazelnut lava cakes. Serve them with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream!
May 16, 21 12:56 PM
These summer flatbread pizza comes together quickly. It's loaded with colourful summer veggies plus mozzarella. Easy summer meal!
May 06, 21 09:42 AM
These fudgy hazelnut brownies are a true paradise for chocolate lovers. Rich and decadent and enriched with toasted hazelnuts, these brownies are best served with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.