sweet fried dough balls filled with chocolate Cream
These sweet fried balls are filled with amazing chocolate filling. Use any liqueur you fancy - amaretto would work beautifully, as would an orange flavoured liqueur such as Grand Marnier.
Sweet Fried dough balls filled with chocolate
- 200g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 65g (1/3 cup) demerara sugar
- 40g butter, melted and cooled
- 180g mascarpone
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon or orange zest
- 1 teaspoon rum or Amaretto
- sunflower oil for frying
- Combine plain flour, sugar, baking powder and pinch of salt in a bowl.
- Make a well in the centre, then add an egg, butter, mascarpone and citrus zest.
- Mix until smooth and combined, cover with cling film and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE FILLING, broke the chocolate and plate in a heatproof bowl. Set the bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water and stir until the chocolate is melted. Set aside. Beat mascarpone for 1 minute on a low speed then pour the chocolate and beat for another 2-3 minutes until combined. Cover and keep in the fridge until balls are ready to be filled.
- Fill the medium saucepan with sunflower oil. Spoon heaped tablespoons of batter into the oil in he batches of 4-5. Fry, turning occasionally, until puffed and golden (3-4 minutes). Drain on kitchen paper.
- While the balls are still warm, pipe the chocolate filling into each one through the bottom or side to generously fill.
Deep-fry in batches, turning occasionally, until puffed, golden and cooked through (3-4 minutes). Drain on absorbent paper.