This webpage contains affiliate links. Please view our disclosure policy for more details.
Baked Breaded Mushrooms with Herbs
There is something special about these crispy breaded mushrooms we love to prepare again and again. This recipe makes a bunch of mushroom slices coated into crispy and flavourful breadcrumb coating enriched with mix of herbs.
These mushrooms make a delicious snack for nibbling on their own or served along your favourite dip. For a light vegetarian meal, serve these with a bowl of green salad!
They are so delicious that you will end up eating them as soon as they come out of the oven. Let's see how to make these delicious mushrooms!
What you'll need for crispy breaded mushrooms
The list of ingredients for this recipe is really short and preparation is quick and simple. For this recipe you will need:
- WHITE or BROWN (CREMINI) MUSHROOMS: We used brown mushrooms but white button mushrooms will also work fine. Choose medium to large mushrooms of the same size.
- FINE BREADCRUMBS: Fine dried breadcrumbs are perfect for this recipe so they make super crispy thin coating.
- SEASONING: Herbs are what makes these mushrooms extra delicious. We opted for a mix of dried thyme and oregano plus fresh rosemary (chopped very finely so they stick easily). Use any other mix of herbs of your choice (parsley, basil, dill...). In addition, season the flour with salt and ground black pepper.
- OLIVE OIL: Use good quality olive oil and be sure to brush generously each mushroom slice. This ensures mushrooms not to dry out and to become crispy and delicious once baked.
More tasty recipes you will love:
How to make baked breaded mushrooms
Making these amazingly delicious meal is so simple once you have ready your ingredients. Here are the steps to make them:
SLICING MUSHROOMS: First gently wipe each mushroom with a damp kitchen paper (don't wash them as they will soak up too much water) and remove the stems. Cut mushrooms vertically into 2mm thick slices on a cutting board using a sharp knife.
PREPARING BREADING: Take 3 deep bowl, add the flour, salt and pepper in one. Add the eggs and water to the second one and whisk. In the third bowl, mix together breadcrumbs and herbs of your choice. You are now ready for breading.
BREADING THE MUSHROOMS: Breading is easy, just work in batches. First toss 4-5 mushroom slices into the flour, tap them and transfer to the eggs. Now, using two forks dip them completely into eggs and then transfer to the bowl with breadcrumbs.
Turn them to coat completely into breadcrumbs. Place on a plate until ready to bake (cover with some clingfilm and keep in the fridge).
BAKING THE MUSHROOMS: Arrange mushroom slices on baking sheet lined with baking paper (you will need to do this in 2 batches) then brush generously each slice with olive oil, Bake for 5-6 minutes then flip each slice and bake for another 4-5 minutes, until they are golden and crisp.
That's it - your crispy mushrooms are ready to enjoy!
Making ahead baked breaded mushrooms
These delicious mushrooms can be make ahead. Just bread them the day before and keep in the fridge, covered with clingfilm or aluminium foil. Then bake them as usual. They will be the same delicious.
a few of our favourite side dish recipes:
Baked Breaded Mushrooms with Herbs
MAKES: 4 servings
COOKS IN: 40 minutes
- Wipe the mushrooms with dump kitchen paper (don't wash them) and remove the stems.
- Cut each mushroom vertically into long slices (2mm thin) using a sharp knife. This can be done using a mandolin slicer.
- Place the flour in a small deep bowl. Add salt and ground pepper and stir to combine.
- Whisk the eggs and water in another one.
- Stir the breadcrumbs and herbs in the third bowl.
- Toss handful of mushroom slices into the flour until they are lightly coated, drop them into whisked eggs and dip until completely coated (you can do this using two forks).
- Finally, transfer them into breadcrumbs and toss until coated all over making sure to press the crumbs so they stick well. Shake off the excess of the breadcrumbs.
- Preheat the oven 180°C (356°F) and line the baking sheet with baking paper. You will need to bake these mushrooms in 2 batches. Brush the paper with the olive oil.
- Arrange slices of mushroom across the baking sheet then brush them generously with olive oil. Bake for 5-6 minutes then turn each slice and bake for another 4-5 minutes, or until they are crisp and golden brown. Transfer them to serving plate and serve with your favourite dip. Serve the mushrooms on a plate with the dip in a small bowl.
We recommend using the measurement in grams & ml (instead of cups & spoons) for more accuracy and better results.