HOME > SNACKS & NIBBLES
Sweetcorn and Zucchini
Are you a fan of filo pastry like us? Then you'll love our savoury triangles that hide a tasty filling of sweetcorn and grated zucchini (with some onion) flavoured with fresh parsley. The thin filo sheets bake up flaky and crisp, creating the perfect crunchy contrast to the filling.
This webpage contains affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
These are the ideal choice for an everyday snack, light lunch or even picnic meal (just like our potato and mushroom filo pies). Plus, these filo triangles are quite easy to prepare and are a real crowd pleaser. Serve these triangles with our creamy vegetable soup, and you have complete filling meal.
Let's see how to prepare these veggie filo pastry triangles, that can be enjoyed either just from the oven or when cool. Either way they are super addictive and you will not be able to stop at just one.
More snack recipes
you'll love to try:
What is filling made of
These delicious filo triangles are filled with a simple and quick to make filling. You will need ZUCCHINI (coarsely grated), SWEETCORN (from the tin or frozen), SMALL ONION (finely chopped), SALT & GROUND PEPPER, FRESH PARSLEY (finely chopped) and OLIVE OIL.
Zucchini is a popular summer vegetable which tastes great in salads, pastas, soup, pizza or even desserts.
Once grated, zucchini can be turned into healthy fritters such as our simple zucchini fritters or ones with pancetta, for some extra flavour. And, if you love these you'll also love our tempting fried zucchini balls.
We hope these recipes will inspire you to try cooking zucchini in a new way. And this is not all, there are always more zucchini recipes to try.
When purchasing zucchini, choose ones that are firm and heavy with a bright, glossy skin. Also choose smaller zucchini which offer more flavour than the larger ones.
To keep zucchini fresh at home don't wash them until you are ready to use them. Keep them in the fridge and they will last for at least a week.
STEPS FOR PREPARING ZUCCHINI:
- For grating zucchini you'll need a box grater with large holes. The best way to do this is to place a box grater inside a medium bowl and start to grate. Then, once you're finished grating, you have all of your ingredient in one place.
- Now transfer the zucchini into a colander set over a bowl and sprinkle lightly with fine salt.
- Leave for 10-15 minutes then using clean hands, squeeze out as much liquid from the zucchini as possible.
Next, follow the steps below:
- Drizzle some olive oil in a skillet and cook the sweetcorn for a few minutes, stirring continuously. Transfer to a bowl.
- Now, drizzle some more olive oil in the skillet and cook the chopped onion until soft (for 3-4 minutes).
- Add the grated zucchini, season with salt and pepper and cook for another 5-6 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Finally, stir in the sweetcorn and fresh parsley and cook for a few minutes more. You have the filling ready.
Preparing the filo pastry
If you have quality filo pastry, assembling the triangles is fairly easy. For this recipe you will need 6-8 large filo pastry sheets (don't open the filo package until you have the filling ready).
Keep the filo sheets in a stack and using a sharp knife, cut them into strips (10x40cm).
We are ready to assemble triangles, which is fairly easy and quick.
Assembling the triangles
FOR EACH TRIANGLE YOU WILL NEED 2 FILO STRIPS. First, place 1 filo strip on a work surface, brush with water/olive oil mixture (mix in a bowl), then top with another one.
Place a tablespoon of mixture at the bottom of the strip then fold the corner over the filling to form a triangle and continue folding until the mixture is completely encased in the triangle.
Baking the triangles
Arrange the triangles on a baking sheet (lined with baking paper), brush with olive oil/water mixture. Be sure not to overload the sheet, leave some space between the triangles.
Bake them in preheated oven until the are golden brown and crisp, 18-20 minutes.
These are best eaten warm but also delicious cold. You can easily re-crisp them by placing back in the oven for 4-5 minutes at 190°C/374°F.
A few more of our popular recipes:
Sweetcorn and Zucchini Filo Triangles
MAKES: 16 triangles
COOKS IN: 1 hour 10 minutes
HANDY KITCHEN PRODUCTS:
- 2 medium zucchini (around 600g)
- 1 tin sweetcorn kernels (125g)
- 1 small onion (40-50g)
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- salt & ground black pepper
- olive oil
- 200g filo pastry (6 sheets)
- 45ml water (3 tablespoons) + 30ml (2 tablespoons) olive oil, for brushing filo pastry
- FOR THE FILLING, grate zucchini using the large holes on a box grater. Place in a colander, then sprinkle over some salt and leave aside for about 10-15 minutes. Squeeze as much as liquid as you can from the zucchini. Set them aside.
- Put a skillet on a medium-heat with a drizzle of olive oil and add sweetcorn. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously. Transfer the sweetcorn to a bowl.
- Put the skillet back on the heat, put another few drizzles of olive oil then add onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring continuously until translucent.
- Add grated zucchini, stir to coat, season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5-6 minutes, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon. Stir in parsley sweetcorn and continue to cook, about 2 minutes more. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/374°F. Line the baking sheet with baking paper.
- FOR THE TRIANGLES, keep the filo sheets in a stack and using a sharp knife cut them into long strips, 10x40cm. Keep the filo strips covered with a slightly damp tea towel while working.
- Place one filo strip on a dry work surface and brush with water/oil mixture. Top with another filo strip to create a double layer.
- Place a tablespoon of zucchini/corn mixture at the bottom of the strip. Fold the bottom corner over the filling to form a triangle and continue folding as though folding a flag, until the filling is completely encased in the triangle.
- Place triangle on the baking sheet then brush the outside with water/olive oil mixture. Repeat until all triangles are formed. (you will have 16 triangles). Bake for 18-20 minutes or until they are crisp and golden.
CATEGORIES: SNACKS & NIBBLES, BREAKFAST & BRUNCH, FILO PASTRY
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.