HOME > BREAD & PIZZA
Summer Vegetable Flatbreads
This recipe uses quick homemade flatbreads as a base for topping made of fresh mozzarella, grated zucchini, sweetcorn and roasted cherry tomatoes. In only 45 minutes you will get 3 medium pizzas, an ideal lunch or snack throughout the day.
For more simple pizza recipes, check out our sweetcorn flatbread pizza and zucchini pancetta flatbread pizza.
This webpage contains affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
More tasty recipes
you'll want to try:
Why you'll love these summer vegetable flatbreads
- It's quicker than regular pizza
- Topped with delicious summer veggies
- It's healthy snack option
- Ideal for brunch, lunch or light dinner
- Can be easily make ahead
- Children love these pizzas
What you'll need for the topping
The real fun comes with the toppings. This recipe calls for summer vegetables: ZUCCHINI, SWEET CORN and CHERRY TOMATOES - which together with fresh mozzarella makes these pizzas so delicious and tempting. As it baked, it gets so melty and toasty.
Each vegetables adds something to the pizzas, sweet corn gives sweetness, zucchini freshness while cherry tomatoes (previously roasted in the oven) brings that tangy flavour.
These pizzas are cheesy, sweet, saucy and best of all - homemade.
Making the pizza base
The base of these individual pizzas are simple flatbreads which can be easily made. We don't use yeast in this recipe, just FLOUR, BAKING POWDER, GREEK YOGURT, OLIVE OIL and SALT. Just combine everything in a bowl and knead a soft dough, which is enough for 3 medium-sized pizzas.
Shape the flatbreads on a floured work surface then fry quickly on a frying pan until slightly puffed up. You have your base for the pizza ready!
Preparing topping for the flatbreads
Now, let's jump to topping. First roast cherry tomatoes (which we oiled and seasoned with salt and pepper) in the oven so they loose some water and get intensive flavour.
Grate zucchini (use large holes on a box grater), season with salt, drain water and sauté them for a few minutes. Lastly, fry sweet corn on a frying pan for a few minutes.
Don't forget to cut mozzarella into smaller pieces. Use exactly the amount stated in the recipe, adding to much of it will make the dough soggy.
You'll find this kitchen utensil collection (made of turner, spoon, ladle, two whisks and silicon spatulas, all with wooden handles) is great to have in your kitchen.
There is no special pizza pan or pizza stone required - you can bake them on regular baking sheet. It's good to pre-bake flatbreads for a few minutes in the oven, before you top them - this way the crust will be crispy and delicious (don't forget to brush slightly flatbreads with olive oil).
Sprinkle mozzarella on flatbreads, then top with zucchini and corn and a finish with a couple of cherry tomato halves. Bake until the cheese is melted and edges of crust are brown and crisp.
Your summer flatbread pizzas are ready to enjoy!
Making ahead summer vegetable flatbread pizzas
If you want to make these simple flatbread pizzas even quicker, make a pile of flatbreads in advance and freeze them. Wrap cooked flatbreads individually into into aluminium foil and place in a plastic freezer bag.
Once you want to prepare pizza, take flatbreads from the freezer, place them on the baking sheet to thaw for a few minutes, brush with olive oil and bake in the oven on 200°C/392°F for 3-4 minutes. Continue with topping as described in the recipe.
A few of our popular snack recipes:
Summer Vegetable Flatbreads
SERVES: 3 medium-sized flatbread pizza
COOKS IN: 45 minutes
For the flatbreads
- 200g (1 2/3 cup) plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 180g (3/4 cup) Greek yogurt
- 15ml (1 tablespoon) olive oil
For the topping
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes (around 100g)
- 1 ball of fresh mozzarella (around 100g)
- 1 small zucchini (around 100g zucchini), coarsely grated
- 50g sweetcorn, tinned or frozen
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 45ml (3 tablespoons) olive oil
- TO MAKE FLATBREADS, combine together plain flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add olive oil and Greek yogurt and using your hands bring everything together.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface, then transfer the dough to the surface and knead until smooth, 3-4 minutes, adding more flour if the dough is sticky. Place the dough into a bowl, cover and leave aside for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (392°F). Line the baking sheet with baking paper.
- FOR THE TOPPING, cut cherry tomatoes into halves then toss them with few drops of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Spread onto baking sheet and roast in the oven for about 13-15 minutes until slightly soft and blistered. Transfer them to a plate and set aside.
- Grate mozzarella on a large holes of box grater or cut into small pieces.
- In the meantime, shred zucchini on large holes of box grater, sprinkle lightly with salt and leave for 3-4 minutes. Drain the liquid from zucchini.
- Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and zucchini. Sauté till soft, for about 3-4 minutes. Remove zucchini to one bowl.
- In the same skillet cook sweet corn for about 2-3 minutes or until it becomes slightly brown.
- TO COOK THE FLATBREADS, divide the flatbread dough into 3 pieces. Dust a work surface and rolling pin with flour. Working one at a time, roll out each piece of dough into a round about 2-3 mm thick.
- Lightly oil a cast iron griddle and place on a medium-high heat. Cook rounds of dough for 1-2 minutes on each side or until puffed up slightly. There should be a small golden brown spots on both sides. If the pan seems too hot or is smoking, turn the heat down slightly.
- Place flatbreads on the baking sheet lined with baking paper, brush the surface of the flatbreads lightly with olive oil then bake in the oven for 2-3 minutes.
- Take the flatbreads from the oven and sprinkle each with mozzarella, then top with zucchini and sweet corn. Place a few cherry tomato halves on the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 13-15 minutes of until the crust is golden and crisp and mozzarella is melted.
- Transfer to a warmed serving plates and serve immediately.
CATEGORIES: Bread & Pizza, Snacks & Nibbles,
Breakfast & Brunch, Spring & Summer
Mozzarella, Zucchini, Sweetcorn
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.