Bread & Pizza | Italian Inspired Recipes | Zucchini | Pancetta
Zucchini Pancetta Flatbreads
You are going to love these simple pizza made with flatbread base and topped with zucchini and cubes of pancetta. Ideal light summer lunch or easy dinner.
This webpage contains affiliate links. Please view our disclosure policy for more details.
Our flatbread pizzas with zucchini and pancetta are ideal summer meal. Simple flatbread base made in a minutes is topped with shredded zucchini, crisped pancetta cubes and dollops of creamy mascarpone. These three makes an ideal flavour combinations which will please the most demanding people.
If you love recipes like this one, we recommend our flatbreads topped with summer vegetables and the one with sweet corn, both delicious.
Try also these tasty recipes:
Zucchini are summer vegetable which are quite affordable as well as healthy and nutritious, which makes them a desirable ingredient in every summer dish. Fresh zucchini tastes great in salads, pastas, soup, pizza or even desserts. You can eat zucchini raw, grill it, cook it, sauté it - the possibilites are endless.
We love to shred them and make simple fritters such as easy zucchini fritters and the one with pancetta, both so yummy. For another great snack idea, check our recipe for quick fried zucchini balls. We hope these recipes will inspire you to try cooking zucchini in a new way. And this is not all, there are always more zucchini recipes to try.
How to make zucchini pancetta flatbreads
Making these tasty flatbread pizza is so easy. For the flatbreads in this recipe we use PLAIN FLOUR and POLENTA. Stir these two ingredients together with BAKING POWDER and SALT then add GREEK YOGURT and OLIVE OIL. Knead a dough, then roll out small flatbreads and cook them on the stove. Our pizza base is ready!
For the topping you will need:
- MASCARPONE CHEESE - This recipe uses mascarpone cheese which is creamy and has mild sweet buttery flavour. It has smooth creamy texture and is goes great with zucchini on the top. It is less tangy than ricotta or regular cream cheese.
- SHREDDED ZUCCHINI - once you shred zucchini, sprinkle with some salt and leave for 10 minutes. Drain as much as liquid as possible to avoid soggines of the pizza base. Saute it for a few minutes to bring some extra flavour.
- CUBED PANCETTA which adds some flavour to the pizza. It tastes similar to bacon. Instead of pancetta you can use bacon or prosciutto - both works well).
Brush flatbreads with some olive oil and bake in the oven for a few minutes then top them with mascarpone, zucchini and pancetta. Bake for 10 minutes and enjoy while still warm.
Best Selling Kitchen Tools
Making ahead zucchini pancetta flatbreads
If you want to make these simple flatbread pizzas even quicker, make a pile of flatbreads in advance and freeze them. Wrap cooked flatbreads individually into into aluminium foil and place in a plastic freezer bag.
Once you want to prepare pizza, take flatbreads from the freezer, place them on the baking sheet to thaw for a few minutes, brush with some olive oil and bake in the oven on 200°C (392°F) for 3-4 minutes. Continue with topping as described in the recipe.
Looking for more snack recipes? Check these out:
Zucchini Pancetta Flatbreads
SERVES: 3 medium-sized flatbread pizza
COOKS IN: 45 minutes
- 180g plain flour (1 1/2 cup)
- 40g polenta (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 180g Greek yogurt (3/4 cup), at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the topping
- 200g zucchini (1 medium zucchini)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 100g pancetta (3.5 ounces), finely diced
- 115g mascarpone cheese (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano or thyme
Shop kitchen essentials for this recipe:
- TO MAKE FLATBREADS, combine together flour and polenta, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and add olive oil and Greek yogurt and using your hands bring everything together.
- Lightly flour a clean work surface, then transfer the dough to the surface and knead until smooth, 3-4 minutes, adding more flour if the dough is sticky. Place the dough into a bowl, cover and leave aside for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (392°F). Line the baking sheet with baking paper.
- TO MAKE THE TOPPING, shred zucchini on large holes of box grater, sprinkle lightly with salt and leave for 10 minutes. Drain as much as possible liquid from zucchini. You can do this with your hands or using a clean cloth.
- Put a small skillet on a medium heat with a drizzle of olive oil and add shredded zucchini. Sauté for about 3-4 minutes, stirring continuously. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and set aside.
- Add cubed pancetta to the same skillet and fry for 2-3 minute stirring all the time.
- TO COOK THE FLATBREADS, divide the flatbread dough into 3 pieces. Dust a work surface (or pastry mat) and rolling pin with flour. Working one at a time, roll out each piece of dough into a round about 2-3 mm thick and 15 cm in diameter.
- Lightly oil a non-stick frying pan or a griddle and place on a medium-high heat. Cook rounds of dough for 1-2 minutes on each side or until puffed up slightly. There should be a small golden brown spots on both sides. If the pan seems too hot or is smoking, turn the heat down slightly.
- Place flatbreads on the baking sheet lined with baking paper, brush lightly the surface of the flatbreads with olive oil then bake in the oven for 2-3 minutes.
- Take the flatbreads from the oven and dot over with mascarpone, then to with shredded zucchini and pancetta. Sprinkle with dried oregano or thyme.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 12-14 minutes of until the crust is golden. Transfer to a warmed serving plates and serve immediately.