Snacks & Nibbles
Crispy Pesto Twists
These simple twists with basil pesto are ideal snack in every occasion. Serve at buffet table or just nibble throughout the day, these snacks are so tasty and easy to make.
This webpage contains affiliate links. Please view our disclosure policy for more details.
You are going to love these crispy pesto twists - ideal choice for appetizer or nibble in any occasion. These simple baked snacks are made of simple pizza dough and basil pesto which you can prepare by yourself or use quality store-bough. Pesto gives these snacks bright and herby flavour from the basil with slightly nutty twist from the pine nuts.
For this recipe we used a mix of plain and spelt flour, which makes them tasteful and delicious. So, let's check how to make these pesto twist easily in only 20 minutes (plus rising time).
Try also these tasty recipes:
How to make crispy pesto twists
- Making these simple snacks is so easy and quick. The dough is pretty simple to make. Just combine flours, instant dry yeast and some salt, pour water and milk and knead a soft dough similar to those for pizza. This recipe features a mix of PLAIN and WHOLE GRAIN SPELT flours, making these twists extra delicious. However, you can use only plain or only spelt flour, depending on what you have on hand.
- Once the dough is risen, roll it gently on a floured work surface and cut into half. Spread basil pesto in a thin layer on one half, place another half on top. Cut into strips 1.5x10cm with a sharp knife, twist each several times then place on baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 5-6 minutes - the twists will become golden and crisp.
For these twist you can use homemade pesto, by following our recipe or if you don't have all ingredients use the quality store-bought pesto.
EXTRA TIP: These pesto twists are best on the day they are baked, but if you have some left for tomorrow, just re-crisp them with a few minutes in the oven at 175 C.
Looking for more snack recipes? Check these out:
For more snack inspiration, take a look at our collection of snack recipes. Also check out our selection of other tempting bread & pizza recipes, too.
Crispy Pesto Twists
MAKES: 16 twists
COOKS IN: 20 minutes plus rising time
For the pastry
- 120g plain flour (1 cup)
- 85g whole grain spelt flour (3/4 cup)
- 3g (1 teaspoon) instant dry yeast or 4g (1 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 60ml water (1/4 cup), lukewarm
- 60ml milk (1/4 cup), lukewarm
For the filling
TOOLS YOU'LL NEED:
Ideal for baking perfect cookies and other baked goods!
- Combine plain and spelt flour with instant dry yeast and salt in a medium bowl.
- Pour lukewarm water and milk and stir until flour is incorporated. Now using your hands form a soft dough. Turn in onto floured work surface and knead for about 4-5 minutes. Place it in a warm place to rise, until doubled, around 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (392°F) and line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
- Flour the work surface again, then tip out the risen dough. Flatten it and roll it out to a rectangle about 30x20cm and about 3-4mm thick. Cut the dough into half.
- Spread evenly with pesto one half and top with another half. Use a sharp knife or pastry wheel to cut the dough into 1.5x10cm strips. Now, gently twist each strip 2-3 times and place on the baking sheet, leaving some space between each one.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden. Serve while still warm.