Home > Snacks & Nibbles
Crispy Pesto Twists
This webpage contains affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
You will adore these simple snacks made of yeasted dough and filled with basil pesto. These make an ideal snack, nibble or appetizer. So, let's check how to easily make these pesto twists in only 20 minutes (plus rising time).
Why not to try our recipe for cheesy garlic breadsticks, also a great snack.
How to make crispy pesto twists
- Making these simple snacks is so easy and quick. The dough is pretty simple to make. Just combine flours, instant dry yeast and some salt, pour water and milk and knead a soft dough similar to those for pizza. This recipe features a mix of PLAIN and WHOLE GRAIN SPELT flours, making these twists extra delicious. However, you can use only plain or only spelt flour, depending on what you have on hand.
- Once the dough is risen, roll it gently on a floured work surface and cut into half. Spread basil pesto in a thin layer on one half, place another half on top. Cut into strips 1.5x10cm with a sharp knife, twist each several times then place on baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 5-6 minutes - the twists will become golden and crisp.
For these twist you can use homemade pesto, by following our recipe or if you don't have all ingredients use the quality store-bought pesto.
EXTRA TIP: These pesto twists are best on the day they are baked, but if you have some left for tomorrow, just re-crisp them with a few minutes in the oven at 175 C.
More tasty recipes
A FEW OF OUR FAVOURITE SNACK RECIPES:
Crispy Pesto Twists
MAKES: 16 twists
COOKS IN: 20 minutes plus rising time
HANDY KITCHEN PRODUCTS:
For the pastry
- 120g plain flour (1 cup)
- 85g whole spelt flour (3/4 cup)
- 3g (1 teaspoon) instant dry yeast or 4g (1 1/4 teaspoon active dry yeast)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 60ml water (1/4 cup), lukewarm
- 60ml milk (1/4 cup), lukewarm
For the filling
- 60g basil pesto (3-4 tablespoons)
- Combine plain and spelt flour with instant dry yeast and salt in a medium bowl.
- Pour lukewarm water and milk and stir until flour is incorporated. Now using your hands form a soft dough. Turn in onto floured work surface and knead for about 4-5 minutes. Place it in a warm place to rise, until doubled, around 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (392°F) and line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
- Flour the work surface again, then tip out the risen dough. Flatten it and roll it out to a rectangle about 30x20 cm and about 3-4mm thick. Cut the dough into half.
- Spread evenly with pesto one half and top with another half. Use a sharp knife or pastry wheel to cut the dough into 1.5x10 cm strips. Now, gently twist each strip 2-3 times and place on the baking sheet, leaving some space between each one.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes or until pastry is puffed and golden. Serve while still warm.
CATEGORIES: Snacks & Nibbles, Breakfast & Brunch, Quick & Easy
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.