These crispy whole grain crackers are both healthy and delicious. Ideal nibble in every occasion. They are so easy to make!
These simple crispy crackers are so delicious thanks to wholesome ingredients used in the recipe. Whole wheat flour together with whole grain spelt flour and polenta makes these crackers both nutty and slightly sweet.
Try also these tasty recipes:
what you'll need for crispy whole grain crackers
These crackers are made of an interesting combination of WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR and WHOLE GRAIN SPELT FLOUR - both nutritiously rich and healthy plus POLENTA (cornmeal).
Polenta (cornmeal) is made of coarsely ground corn and is usually cooked to get soft creamy porridge which is ideally served with many dishes - meat or fish sauces, mushrooms... It is great gluten-free substitute for any dish that calls for pasta. Polenta is used in Italian cuisine. To add some extra flavour we added some toasted ground SUNFLOWER SEEDS.
We love to use whole grain flours in our cracker recipes, like in recipes for whole grain sesame chia crackers or multigrain rosemary crackers. Try also them!
how to make Crispy Whole Grain Crackers
Making these crispy crackers is so simple. You will need only one bowl to combine all ingredients and knead the dough. First mix together flours, ground sunflower seeds, salt and fresh chopped rosemary. In one jug, mix olive oil and water then pour this into flours and knead a compact dough. Leave aside to rest for 10 minutes.
Now, roll the dough out on floured work surface thinly then cut into desired shapes. We used flutted pastry wheel to cut small 3x3cm squares but feel free to cut any other shapes. Transfer them to a baking tray and bake until they are slightly brown. Your multigrain rosemary crackers are ready to nibble!
extra rolling tip
Roll out the dough as thin and as possible - 1mm. This ensures even baking and crispness of the crackers. If they are not thin enough, they will be rather chewy than crispy.
The best way to do this is to roll out the dough on a floured baking paper or pastry mat, cut the crackers and using a thin metal spatula transfer the crackers to baking tray.
A proper rolling pin helps a lot with rolling the dough evenly. It works best with a large rolling pin with rotating handles.
storing crispy whole grain crackers
If you happen to have any leftover of crackers and need to store them, allow them to cool fully. Place inside an airtight container and they will stay crispy up to 5 - 6 days.
shop kitchen essentials for this recipe
Digital Kitchen Scale | Mixing Bowl | Pastry Mat | Rolling Pin | Flutted Pastry Wheel | Baking Tray | Baking Paper Sheets | Serving Bowl
Crispy Whole Grain Crackers
MAKES: 80 small crackers
COOKS IN: 30 minutes plus resting time
- 70g (1/2 cup) sunflower seeds
- 106g (2/3 cup) polenta (cornmeal)
- 80g (2/3 cup) whole wheat flour
- 75g (2/3 cup) whole grain spelt flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 30g (1/8 cup) Greek yogurt
- 30ml (2 tablespoons) olive oil
- 60ml (1/4 cup) water, tepid
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F). Lay sunflower seed in a one layer on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Toast in the oven for 5 - 6 minutes or until they start to become lightly brown and fragrant, stirring occasionally. Take them from the oven, leave to cool then finely ground in a coffee grinder.
- In a medium bowl combine polenta and flours, ground sunflower seeds and salt.
- Make a well in the centre of the flours then add olive oil and Greek yogurt. Stir with a spoon until the dough start to come together.
- Now knead the dough with your hands a few times, either in the bowl or on the work surface, until it comes together and is compact. Flatten into disk then wrap the dough in a cling film and place in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F). Line baking tray with baking paper. You will have to bake the crackers in batches.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces. Take one piece and roll out the dough with a rolling pin thinly - 1mm. Using a fluted pastry wheel, pizza cutter or a sharp knife to cut the dough into 5x5cm squares, then cut each square diagonally to get triangles. You will get 80 small crackers.
- Transfer squares onto prepared baking tray, prick each with a fork several times and bake in the oven for about 6 - 7 minutes or until crisp and golden brown around edges. Remove from the oven and leave to cool crackers completely. Serve or transfer to airtight container.