Creamy Pumpkin Soup
This delicious and creamy pumpkin soup is easily made in only 40 minutes. Serve topped with roasted pumpkin seeds or croutons!
This webpage contains affiliate links. Please view our disclosure policy for more details.
If you are looking for a comfort winter soup, this creamy pumpkin soup topped with crunchy croutons is an ideal choice. The recipe is simple and easy, starting with frying leek and garlic then adding pumpkin, stock and seasonings.
Pumpkin is ideal for cooking up into a hearty soup, ideal meal when the cold weather arrives. It's ideal served with crusty bread slices!
Check out handpicked kitchen products at Food52 Shop (up to 40%OFF).
Which pumpkin to use for this creamy soup
Use any pumpkin you have on hand - sugar pumpkin, kabocha squash, hokkaido squash, butternut squash or any other. We prefer either kabocha or hokkaido squash as these are both sweet and delicate in flavour. All have delicate sweet flavour which is great once they are in the soup.
Making creamy pumpkin soup
Making this creamy soup is super easy. For the soup your will need PUMPKIN (cubed to 2cm cubes), LEEK (chopped), GARLIC CLOVES (finely chopped), SALT, PEPPER and CROUTONS for serving.
Let's check steps for making this soup:
- Sauté chopped leek on olive oil until soft for a few minutes then add garlic and stir for another minute. Add pumpkin, season with salt and pepper and cook stirring all the time until it start to become brown. Add vegetable broth (or water) and cook for 20 - 22 minutes.
- Whizz the soup using a stick blender or put the soup into a stand blender and blitz in batches (just be careful as always when blending hot liquids - don't fill the blender full)
- Once the soup is blended, taste it and season as needed.
Best selling kitchen tolls & gadgets
How to serve creamy pumpkin soup
This amazing soup can be served as a starter, side-dish or main dish. Serve it with a crusty bread, some grissini or homemade focaccia. Top with roasted pumpkin seeds, croutons or pine nuts on the top. Each of these options is so delicious and will work well. These pretty porcelain bowls are ideal for serving creamy pumpkin soup!
Can you make ahead this soup
This soup is ideal for making ahead. Just make the soup, cool completely and transfer to a storage container. It lasts in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
KITCHEN ESSENTIALS FOR THIS RECIPE
Creamy Pumpkin Soup
SERVES: 2 Servings
COOKS IN: 1 Hour
- 1 small pumpkin (800g / 2 pounds)
- 2 - 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium leek (200g), chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 800ml vegetable broth (or water)
- sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 20g pumpkin seeds, for sprinkling
- TO MAKE THE SOUP: first rinse the pumpkin, then cut into quaters, peel the skin off and chop into small cubes (1cm).
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan, add leek and cook for for 3 - 4 minutes stirring all the time. Add the garlic and cook for 1 - 2 minutes more.
- Add the pumpkin to the pan, season with salt and pepper and then carry on cooking for 8-10 mins, stirring occasionally until it starts to soften and turn golden.
- Pour vegetable stock or water, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 13-15 mins until the squash is very soft.
- While the soup is cooking, toast the pumpkin seeds in a medium skillet over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until fragrant and golden. Transfer pumpkin seeds to a bowl to cool.
- Cool slightly the soup then whizz with hand stick blender until smooth. If the soup is too thick add some more vegetable stock. Season with salt and pepper as needed. Serve with crusty bread.