SNACKS & NIBBLES
Spelt Oregano Crackers
These healthy crackers are made with whole grains spelt flour and scented with dried oregano. So easy to make these crackers are a great nibble option in any occasion.
This webpage contains affiliate links. Please view our disclosure policy for more details.
You will love these simple healthy crackers made with only spelt flour and enriched with dried oregano. They are made quickly and easily in only 30 minutes.
You don't need any special equipment, just one bowl, rolling pin and small round cutter to make these healthy snacks with oregano twist. We love to nibble these crackers throughout the day or enjoy them with some tuna pâté on the top.
More tasty recipes you will love:
How to make spelt oregano crackers
These spelt crackers are so quick and easy and you can experiment to find the exact combination of cracker thickness and baking time.
- For this recipe you will need only spelt or whole grain spelt flour, both nutritiously rich and full of fibre. First, combine flour with, baking powder, salt and dried oregano in one bowl. Add cubed butter and rub it into the flour.
- Pour the water and work with your hands to make a dough. Leave the dough in the fridge for about 20 minutes then roll on lightly floured work surface to 1-2 mm thickness.
- We love small bite-size crackers so we used small round cookie cutter to cut out the shapes. With this dough we made 50 small crackers. Prick each cracker with for 2 times then transfer to baking tray lined with baking paper. Bake for about 5-6 minutes or until lightly browned. Once baked transfer crackers to one plate to cool.
Storing spelt oregano crackers
Store leftover crackers in an airtight container on the counter for 5-7 days. If your crackers become less crispy, arrange them on a baking tray and put in the oven to 175°C/347°F for a few minutes to re-crisp.
A few of our favourite cracker recipes:
Spelt Oregano Crackers
MAKES: 50 small crackers
COOKS IN: 30 minutes
- 110g white spelt or whole spelt flour (1 cup)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 28g butter (2 tbsp)
- 60ml water (1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
Kitchen essentials for this recipe:
Kitchen Scale | Mixing Bowls | Pastry Mat | Rolling Pin | Small Round Cookie Cutter | Baking Sheet
- Combine spelt flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Rub butter into the flours until it resembles coarse crumbs. You can do this with your fingertips or use a pastry cutter. Pour the water and work with your hands until you get a compact dough. Leave the dough to rest in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/356°F. Line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
- Lightly flour work surface and roll out the dough thinly (1 mm). Cut into circles using small round cutter.
- Transfer crackers one by one onto a baking sheet and prick each cracker with fork a few times to prevent them from puffing up while baking. Bake for about 5-6 minutes or until crackers start to become lightly brown. Baking time will depend on how thin your crackers are. Transfer the crackers to a wire rack to cool completely.
We recommend using the measurement in grams & ml (instead of cups & spoons) for more accuracy and better results.