HOME > DESSERTS > CREAMY & FROZEN DESSERTS
This 4-ingredient vanilla ice-cream recipe is one of our most popular summer recipes. Made from egg custard and flavoured with vanilla, this ice-cream makes an easy summer treat.
Additional plus is that for this recipe you DON'T need an ice-cream maker. Serve a scoop of this ice-cream with warm chocolate lava cake. So divine!
This webpage contains affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
More tasty recipes
you'll want to try:
Ingredients you'll need
This vanilla ice-cream recipe features only a few simple ingredients and is easily done. You just need to count onto time ice-cream needs to freeze. That's why it's the best to make this ice-cream a day before you need it and keep in the freezer.
This simple no-churn vanilla ice-cream is made of only 4 ingredients:
- EGG YOLKS: Using only egg yolks (not whole eggs) makes the ice-cream super cream. This is the secret!
- HEAVY WHIPPING CREAM: Use heavy whipping cream with at least 33% milk fat.
- CASTER SUGAR: This super fine sugar dissolves easily and gives some texture to the ice-cream.
- VANILLA BEAN PASTE: If using vanilla bean add it to the whipping cream while warming then discard. If using vanilla bean paste stir it once the ice-cream is cooked.
4 easy steps for making vanilla ice-cream:
- BEATING THE EGG YOLKS/SUGAR: Start with beating the eggs yolks and sugar using electric hand mixer until the mixture is pale and thick.
- HEATING THE CREAM: Place the cream in a medium saucepan and bring it almost to a boil. Slowly and in a steady stream pour the cream into egg mixture, while whisking continuously. Pour the mixture back to the saucepan.
- COOKING THE CUSTARD: Cook on a very low heat whisking or stirring continuously. Once the mixture is slightly thick and cover the back of the spoon, remove from the heat and stir in vanilla bean paste.
- FREEZING: Transfer the mixture to the bowl or plastic container, cover the surface with cling film and freeze for about 3-4 hours or until it's firm.
How to flavour vanilla ice-cream
We love to use vanilla bean paste which has a pure, sweet vanilla taste and gives ice-cream look of vanilla bean seeds.
You can use instead use whole vanilla bean which will also flavoured the ice-cream. In this case, split the bean in half lengthways, scrape seeds using a knife and add both bean and seeds to the saucepan with cream. Once the cream is warmed discard the bean.
Freezing vanilla ice-cream
This ice-cream doesn't require ice-cream maker. Just pour the mixture into a clean plastic container (we love this freezer containers with lids) and cool at room temperature for 30 minutes. Next, cover with cling film and place in the freezer to firm, this will take 3-4 hours.
Once you are ready to serve, leave the ice-cream for 10 minutes at room temperature then scoop and serve. These vanilla ice-cream will look great served in these colourful ceramic s bowls.
A few of our summer recipes you'll love:
SERVES: 2 servings
COOKS IN: 15 minutes plus freezing time
- 4 large egg yolks, at room temperature
- 75g caster sugar (1/3 cup)
- 420ml heavy whipping cream 33-36% (1 3/4 cup)
- 4 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
- Using an electric hand mixer beat egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl until pale and creamy (2-3 minutes).
- Pour the whipping cream in a medium heavy-based saucepan. Warm the cream over a low-heat and heat to just below simmering point. Remove from heat and leave aside.
- Pour the cream slowly into the eggs, whisking constantly. Return to the same saucepan, cook over a low heat, stirring with silicon spatula until mixture begins to thicken and coats the back of a spoon or spatula.
- Transfer the mixture to the bowl or plastic container, cover the surface with cling film and freeze for about 3-4 hours or until it's firm.
CATEGORIES: Creamy & Frozen Desserts, Summer, Quick & Easy
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.