Our chestnut flour pecan cookies are so adorable. They combine toasted pecans and caramel flavours in one! They are so easy to make!
These amazing crumbly cookies hide flavours of chestnuts and pecans in the same bite. They are so easy to make and can be a part of any buffet or a cookie tray. Made with dark muscovado sugar, these cookies are perfectly crunch on the outside but have a slightly chewy centre.
If you love these cookies, you may find interesting also our chocolate-glazed chestnut cookies or chocolate-dipped hazelnut cookies.
try also these tasty recipes:
what you need to make chestnut flour pecan cookies
This recipe calls for a mix of chestnut and whole grain spelt flour, making these cookies healthy and nutrituously rich.
Chestnut flour with its nutty taste is a great addition to any cookies as well as whole grain spelt flour with its coarse texture. Cookies are packed with toasted pecans which we adore in desserts and cookies.
If you never used muscovado sugar in sweets you should definitely start. This sugar is dark, rich and full of molasses. It's unrefined sugar which also holds moisture and is what makes a chewy cookie.
how to make chestnut flour pecan cookies
Making these cookies is so easy. You will need only 2 bowls, electric hand mixer and baking tray.
The recipe start toasting pecans to release its amazing aroma. Toast them lightly in the oven for about 8 - 10 minutes, then coarsely chop on the cutting board. Combine flours in one bowl together with ground cardamom and salt.
Beat butter and light muscovado sugar in one bowl until creamy then fold in flours and chopped pecans. Once you have the dough ready, form walnut-sized balls, flatten them and bake in the oven for 7 - 8 minutes. Fragrant of toasted pecans will spread in your kitchen.
best selling kitchen Tools & Gadgets
storing chestnut flour pecan cookies
These cookies stay fresh in an airtight container for 3 - 4 days. Baked cookies freeze well - up to 2 months. Cookie dough logs freeze well too, up to 3 months. Allow the logs to thaw overnight in the fridge then continue to bake them.
Making ahead these cookies
Baked cookies freeze well up to 3 months. Unbaked cookies dough discs freeze well up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge then continue to bake.
looking for more cookies to try? Check out these recipes:
For more cookie inspiration, take a look at our collection of yummy cookie recipes. Also check out our selection of interesting gluten-free cookies, too.
shop kitchen essentials for this recipe
Kitchen Scale | Mixing Bowls | Flour Sifter | Hand Mixer | Cutting Board | Sharp Knife | Baking Tray | Baking Paper Sheets | Cookie Spatula
Chestnut Flour Pecan Cookies
MAKES: 45 cookies
COOKS IN: 30 minutes plus cooling time
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (350°F). Arrange pecans on the baking tray in a single layer and toast for about 8 -10 minutes or until fragrant. Chop them coarsely on a cutting board with a sharp kitchen knife. Leave the oven temperature on 160°C (350°F).
- Sift the chestnut flour and combine it with whole grain spelt flour, ground cardamom and salt in one bowl.
- In a medium bowl beat the butter and light muscovado sugar until combined and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- On low speed, mix in 1/3 of the flour and stir in by hand remaining flour until evenly incorporated. This will take around 4 - 5 minutes, as the dough is pretty stiff. Add chopped pecans and knead the dough for another 2 minutes. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 45 pieces and shape into walnut-sized balls. Place balls on the baking tray, 3 - 4 cm apart and flatten each with a bottom of a glass. Reshape sized if necessary.
- Bake the cookies for about 6 - 8 minutes or until golden brown. Rotate the baking tray halfway through the bake time. Allow cookies to cool on the baking tray for 5 minutes, then transfer all of the cookies to a cooling rack to cool completely. Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for 2 days or in the fridge for up to 1 week.