HOME > COOKIES
Chocolate-Glazed Chestnut Cookies
These hearty cookies are chocolatey, delicious and so easy to make. The dough is made with a mix of chestnut flour and whole spelt flour which makes them super rich and nutty. All topped with dark chocolate glaze.
We are sure you'll love our chestnut cookies studded with pecans!
This webpage contains affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Reasons you'll love chestnut flour
If you haven't used chestnut flour till now, you should definitely start. This flour made from ground dried chestnuts is ideal gluten-free alternative in your kitchen. It has fine texture, pale brown colour and is sweet which can help reduce the amount of sugar used in desserts and cookies.
If you are looking for chocolates suitable for raw foodists and vegans, Conscious Chocolate offers a wide range of great-tasting bars, that are free from dairy, soya, refined sugar and gluten.
We love to combine chestnut flour with other flours in our recipes - like in the recipe for chestnut flour pecan cookies, chocolate chestnut muffins or easy mini chocolate tarts.
More cookie recipes
Steps for making these chocolate chestnut cookies:
- COMBINING SPELT AND CHESTNUT FLOURS: Start with stirring whole spelt flour, chestnut flour (sifted) an salt in a bowl.
- BEATING BUTTER AND SUGAR: Next, using a hand mixer beat softened butter and dark muscovado sugar until creamy. For this you will need glass, metal or ceramic mixing bowl.
- ADDING FLOURS TO WET INGREDIENTS: Now, slowly add flours, gradually to the butter/sugar mixture and using your hands, knead a dough. This will take a few minutes, as the dough is fairly stiff.
- CUTTING OUT THE COOKIES: Using a proper rolling pin, roll out the dough to 4-5mm thickness and bake for about 10 minutes.
- MAKING THE CHOCOLATE GLAZE: Place together coarsely chopped chocolate and butter in a small saucepan. Heat on a very low heat until you get a silky smooth texture.
A few of our favourite cookie recipes:
Chocolate-Glazed Chestnut Cookies
MAKES: 36 cookies
COOKS IN: 30 minutes
HANDY KITCHEN PRODUCTS:
For the cookies
For the chocolate glaze
- Sift the chestnut flour and combine it with whole grain spelt flour, ground cardamom and salt in one bowl.
- In a medium bowl, beat the butter and dark muscovado sugar until combined and creamy, for about 2 minutes.
- Add flours to the butter/sugar mixture. Slowly knead the dough by hand until all flours is incorporated and you get a compact dough. This will take around 4-5 minutes, as the dough is pretty stiff. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/347°F. Line the baking sheet with baking paper.
- Roll out the dough onto floured work surface to the thickness of 4-5 mm and cut rounds using a medium cookie cutter.
- Arrange rounds on the baking sheet and bake for about 9-10 minutes or until lightly brown. Rotate the baking sheet halfway through the bake time. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet.
- FOR THE CHOCOLATE GLAZE, chop the chocolate coarsely and place together with butter in a small saucepan. Melt on a low heat until you get a silky smooth texture.
- Spoon on each cookie 1 heaped teaspoon of the melted chocolate. Allow the chocolate to set completely. To speed up the process, place cookies into the fridge.
CATEGORIES: Cookies, Italian Inspired,
Chestnut Flour, Chocolate
Looking for more recipes?
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.