Cookies | Italian Inspired Recipes | Gluten-Free Cookies
Chocolate Amaretti Cookies
Chocolate amaretti cookies are perfectly soft and chewy and reminds of little brownies. Made from only quality ingredients, these Italian cookies are super tasty and addictive!
This webpage contains affiliate links. Please view our disclosure policy for more details.
These little brown cookies are soft, chewy and chocolatey and remind of little brownies. The chocolate amaretti use the same base recipe as classic soft amaretti with the addition of one single flavouring ingredient - cocoa powder.
While they might look like classic chocolate crinkle cookies, they are much better with delicate almond flavour and marzipan taste. Want to know how to make these sweet and chewy chocolate cookies. Check out detailed recipe below! Or, how to give a try to our amaretti made with hazelnut flour.
Shop quality kitchen supplies and cookware for your cooking adventures at Food52!
Why you'll love almond flour
These cookies are made with almond flour, which is amazing ingredients in sweets thanks to its texture and flavour. Almond flour makes baked goods nutty and light but in these recipe, it gives a unique marzipan-like taste.
Be sure to use fresh and finely ground almond flour which can be found at your organic food store or ordered online.
Best selling kitchen tools
How to make chocolate amaretti cookies
Making these cookies is fairly easy and quick. Just follow the steps below:
- First combine almond flour, cocoa powder, sugar and salt in one bowl. Then beat the egg whites using electric mixer to the medium-soft peaks. Be sure not to overbeat them as the cookies might spread too much. Now incorporate egg whites to the dry ingredients until you get a soft dough.
- Now, it's time for shaping the cookies. Using a tablespoon or a small cookie scoop, portion the dough and roll into balls. Roll into icing sugar and arrange on the baking sheet lined with baking paper.
- Bake for about 10 - 15 minutes or until the bottoms are brown. Your cookies are done. Leave them to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
How to store chocolate amaretti cookies
Soft amaretti cookies need to be completely cool before they are stored. They can be stored in airtight container or a cookie glass jar at room temperature. Cookies should last for up to 4-5 days.
Looking for more cookie recipes? Take a look at these:
Chocolate Amaretti Cookies
MAKES: 24 cookies
COOKS IN: 40 minutes
LEVEL: Super easy
- 200g almond flour (2 1/8 cups)
- 180g caster (fine) sugar (3/4 cup + 1 tbsp)
- 20g unsweetened cocoa powder (1/4 cup)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 60g icing sugar (1/2 cup), for coating
- Preheated the oven to 160°C (320°F) and line baking sheet with baking paper.
- In a large bowl, combine together almond flour, sugar, cocoa and salt.
- In a mixing bowl beat egg whites with almond extract until they hold medium-soft peaks.
- Add dry ingredients into the beaten egg whites and stir until you get soft and sticky dough. If the dough sticks to much to your hands, dust them with some cocoa powder.
- Place icing sugar into a shallow bowl.
- Use a teaspoon or a small cookie scoop to portion dough into balls of the size of walnuts. Roll into balls then roll into icing sugar and arrange on the baking sheet.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until the tops are cracked. Cookies will be still slightly soft on the touch when baked.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool for 3-4 minutes on the tray, then transfer to a cooling rack using a metal thin spatula.