Cookies | Gluten-Free Cookies | Italian Cookies
Hazelnut Amaretti Cookies
These Italian cookies are one of the easiest to make. They are made of hazelnut flour which makes them so nutty and addictive. Not to mention they are completely gluten-free!
For those who love nutty sweets, these dense cookies will be a true find. Similar like soft amaretti cookies, but this time with more intense flavour thanks to the hazelnut flour we used in the recipe. Cookies are enriched with chopped toasted hazelnuts, adding some crunch to the texture.
Don't forget that these cookies are both completely gluten-free and grain-free. Why not to try also classic amaretti cookies or chocolate amaretti cookies, both made with almond flour.
Try also these tasty recipes:
What you'll need to make hazelnut amaretti cookies
Amaretti are known as cookies made with a short list of ingredients and these are not exception. For this recipe you will need:
- HAZELNUT FLOUR: In this recipe we swap the almond flour, used for classic amaretti, for another nut flour - hazelnut flour. It has much stronger flavour then the almond flour and adds additional sweetness to the cookies. Note that hazelnut flour is not the same thing as ground hazelnuts - it's much finer and can be bought at health food stores or easily ordered online.
- HAZELNUTS: We added toasted hazelnuts to the dough for some extra flavour and crunchiness to the cookies.
- DEMERARA SUGAR: Instead of demerara sugar feel free to use any other sugar like caster, granulated, coarse brown sugar...
- PINCH OF SALT: It gives the balance to the flavour.
- EGG WHITES: To bind the dough and give lightness we used whipped egg whites. Leave egg yolks for soft cookies like our chocolate chunk cookies.
- FINELY GRATED ORANGE ZEST: Fresh citrus zest always give a nice kick to the nutty cookies.
- AMARETTO: This liqueur gives amazing aroma to the cookies.
- ICING SUGAR: These cookies are coated into icing sugar before baking which gives them nice finish and look.
How to make hazelnut amaretti cookies
These amaretti cookies are one of the most simplest cookies to make. You will need 2 mixing bowls, electric hand mixer and spatula for folding. Just follow the steps below:
- Combine hazelnut flour, finely chopped hazelnuts, demerara sugar and salt in one bowl.
- Beat egg whites with electric hand mixer then fold into the dry ingredients. You should get soft and sticky dough.
- It's time for shaping the cookies. Using a teaspoon grab small amounts of dough, roll into balls, then roll into icing sugar and place on the baking sheet. Flatten slightly and bake for about 10 minutes. Your nutty and chewy cookies are ready to enjoy.
Best selling kitchen tools
Storing hazelnut amaretti cookies
Store these cookies in airtight container for up to 5 days to keep them from drying out. This cute little glass jar filled with amaretti will look nice on your kitchen counter.
Looking for more cookie recipes? Take a look at these:
For more cookie inspiration, take a look at our collection of yummy cookie recipes. Check out as well our selection of interesting gluten-free cookies, too.
Like this recipe? Follow us on Pinterest for more recipes like this one! And don't forget to pin this recipe for later by clicking on one of the images above.
hazelnut Amaretti Cookies
MAKES: 28 amaretti
COOKS IN: 50 minutes
KITCHEN ESSENTIALS FOR THIS RECIPE:
Quality Kitchen Products - Shop here!
- 90g (2/3 cup) hazelnuts
- 190g (2 cups) hazelnut flour
- 160g (1/2 cup + 5 tbsp) demerara sugar or other coarse brown sugar
- 1 pinch of fine salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon finely grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto liqueur
- 60g (1/2 cup) icing sugar, for coating
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F). Spread hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast for about 8-10 minutes until lightly browned and fragrant and the the skins start to crack. Remove from the oven and place nuts in a clean tea towel and gently rub together until the most of the skin comes off. Cool and finely chop or blitz in the food processor.
- Leave the oven temperature at 160°C (320°F). Line baking sheet with baking paper.
- Combine together hazelnut flour, chopped hazelnuts and sugar in one bowl.
- In a mixing bowl beat egg whites with a pinch of salt using electric hand mixer until they hold soft peaks.
- Add egg whites to the dry ingredients and stir until compact dough forms.
- Using a teaspoon or a small cookie scoop, portion a dough of the size of medium-sized walnuts and roll into a ball. Roll the ball into icing sugar until evenly coated. Arrange on baking tray, leaving some space between each ball. Repeat with remaining dough. Lightly press each ball using your hands.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 9-10 minutes or until the bottoms are just lightly brown. Cookies should be still soft on touch. Remove the cookies from the oven, allow them to cool for about 3-4 minutes on the sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.