Cookies | Gluten-Free Cookies | Almond Flour | Lemons
Almond Flour Lemon Cookies
You will love these simple gluten-free cookies made with almond flour. They are full of lemony flavour thanks to the lemon zest and lemon icing on the top.
This webpage contains affiliate links. Please view our disclosure policy for more details.
These soft and simple lemon cookies are super-quick to prepare and makes a great gluten-free cookie option. They are completely grain-free, made with almond flour and scented with lemon (lemon zest in the dough and lemon drizzle on the top).
These cookies are super soft and goes well with a good cup of coffee. For those who love lemony sweets we have recipes for simple lemon truffles, lemon hazelnut tarts or lemon curd doughnuts.
Shop quality kitchen supplies and cookware for your cooking adventures at Food52!
More cookie recipes you will love:
Why you'll love almond flour
Almond flour is a super fine flour made from blanched almonds and is a great ingredient in gluten-free cookies and desserts. This flour can be used on their own or mixed with other gluten-free flours such as coconut, chestnut, buckwheat or rice flours.
For healthy and light cookies try our simple almond flour cookies and gluten-free cookies with hazelnuts.
Almond flour can be found at health food stores or can be purchased online. Just be sure to use the fresh one and finely ground which will make your baked goods successful.
Handpicked Kitchen Essentials
for your cooking adventures!
How to make almond flour lemon cookies
You will be amazed how easy these gluten-free cookies can be made once you have all ingredients on hand. Just prepare a few mixing bowls, electric hand mixer and baking sheet and you are set to go.
Making the dough & baking cookies
First combine ALMOND FLOUR with BAKING SODA and SALT in one bowl. In another bowl, beat BUTTER and SUGAR using a hand mixer for a few minutes, then add EGG YOLK, finely grated LEMON ZEST and AMARETTO.
Mix for another minute, then fold in almond flour to get a smooth dough. Shaping cookies is so easy with this dough. Just scoop the dough using a teaspoon, roll into balls and arrange on the sheet. Flatten slightly each ball and bake for about 10 minutes. Leave them on the sheet to cool.
Best selling kitchen tools
Drizzling cookies with lemon icing
Cookies are still not ready, we will drizzle them with lemon icing to make them more attractive and to give them extra zesty flavour. Making lemon glaze - is so simple and quick.
You will need ICING SUGAR and LEMON JUICE - whisk them together until smooth. The tartness of the lemon juice tempers the sweetness of the sugar, resulting in a drizzle that's deliciously refreshing without being too acidic.
Once cookies are completely cool, place the lemon glaze in the plastic bag, cut off the tiny corner and drizzle over the cookies. Allow the drizzle to dry - it will give a delicious texture that makes eating this lemon drizzle cookies an even greater joy.
How to store almond flour lemon cookies
These almond flour lemon cookies keep well in an airtight container in a cool dry place for 3-4 days. If they soften due to humidity, you can bake them in the oven at low temperature for a few minutes. Your cookies will love great in this glass cookie jar which keeps them fresh for days.
Looking for more cookies to try? Take a look at these recipes:
Almond Flour Lemon Cookies
MAKES: 22 cookies
COOKS IN: 30 minutes
For the cookies
- 200g almond flour (2 1/8 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- 100g butter (7 tbsp), at room temperature
- 50g demerara sugar (1/4 cup)
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoon of grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto liqueur
For the lemon drizzle
- 90g icing sugar (3/4 cup)
- 3-4 tablespoons lemon juice
Ideal for baking perfect cookies and other baked goods!
- FOR THE COOKIES, preheat the oven to 165°C (329°F) and line the cookie sheet with baking paper.
- In a medium mixing bowl combine together almond flour, baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl beat butter and sugar on a medium speed until creamy and fluffy. Add egg yolk and Amaretto and beat for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add almond flour in two batches and beat on a low speed until you get a soft compact dough. Using a teaspoon scoop the dough and roll into a balls between palms. Place balls on the baking sheet 3-4cm apart and flatten each ball with a hand.
- Bake in the oven for about 9-10 minutes or until they start to become lightly brown on the top and around edges. Leave cookies on the sheet to cool. They will still be very soft at this point, but this is fine.
- FOR THE LEMON DRIZZLE, in a small bowl combine icing sugar and lemon juice until you get a texture similar to paste but liquid. The easiest way to drizzle the cookies, is to place the mixture into plastic bag and cut the tiny end of the bag and drizzle over the cookies. Leave to set then serve.