These classic almond biscotti are ideal for dipping into a tea or coffee. They are twice baked but so easy to make. Be sure to try these traditional Italian cookies.
If you are looking for an ideal cookie for dipping into a tea or coffee, the classic Italian almond biscotti is the ideal choice for your. The name biscotti literally means "twice baked" as the dough is formed into logs, baked, sliced and baked again.
These are the classic version with almonds but these cookies can also be enhanced with hazelnuts, pistachios, dried fruits, chocolate pieces or any combination of these. To find your favourite flavour be creative and play around with this. For chocolate lovers, try our chocolate almond biscotti which are easy to make.
This recipe makes 20 crunchy biscotti, so there will be more than enough to keep and enjoy. Since biscotti are dry cookies, they can be stored at room temperature for a few weeks, but it is best to keep them in an airtight container.
some extra tips for making almond biscotti
- The trickiest part about making biscotti is handling the dough. It's soft and sticky so we advise working with it quickly with slightly dusted hands. It's best to form a log directly on the baking tray.
- For a richer aroma, toast the almonds before adding to the dough.
- Cut the logs into slices at the right temperature. It is best to let them cool after the first bake until they can easily handled. But don't wait to long as the logs will become hard and can break while slicing. Use a serrated knife to cut the logs.
- Be careful when turning the biscotti in the oven during the second bake to prevent cracking and crumbling. It's best to use tongs to turn them.
- The final texture of the biscotti depends on the amount of time spent in the oven. For a slightly softer texture, decrease the time of the second bake. If the biscotti are too soft, increase the duration of the second bake to get dry crunchy biscotti.
Best Selling Kitchen Tools & Gadgets
how to store almond biscotti
To keep the biscotti crisp, store them in an cookie glass jar at room temperature. If they should lose their crispness, simply toast them in the oven for a few minutes on 150°C.
Looking For More cookie recipes?
For more cookie inspiration, take a look at our collection of yummy cookie recipes. Also check out our selection of other Italian cookies, too.
Shop kitchen Essentials for this recipe
Digital Kitchen Scale | Mixing Bowls | Wire Whisk | Wooden Cutting Board | Serrated Knife | Baking Tray | Baking Paper Sheets | Kitchen Tongs | Cookie Glass Jar
MAKES: 20 biscotti
COOKS IN: 1 hour
- 240g plain flour
- 80g caster sugar
- 120g whole almonds
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- grated zest of 1 orange
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon Amaretto liqueur
- Toast the almonds in the oven at 140°C (284°F) for about 10 - 12 minutes or until lightly brown. Adjust the oven temperature to 180°C (356°F).
- Whisk the eggs with the sugar. Add the grated orange zest, Amaretto and salt.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour and baking powder and then add gradually to the egg mixture. Work the mixture with your hands to get compact soft dough. Add the prepared almonds and incorporate them into the dough.
- Divide the dough into 2 equal pieces and shape into 2 logs (5 cm wide and 1 cm high) directly on the baking tray. Bake in the oven for about 20 - 25 minutes or until they are lightly golden.
- Cool the logs for about 10 minutes and then cut them diagonally (at a 45° angle) into 1 cm thick slices. Lay the slices flat on the baking tray, turn the oven down to 140°C (284°F) and bake for another 5 - 6 minutes, turning halfway through.
© Secret Recipe Notebook owns the copyright on all images and text and does not allow for its original recipes and pictures to be reproduced anywhere other than at this site unless authorization is given.
Jun 04, 21 01:20 PM
Make these white chocolate mousse raspberry tarts!
May 29, 21 02:02 PM
You are going to love this refreshing lemon almond cheesecake. Amazing combination of almond crust and zesty lemon filling makes this cheesecake so adorable.
May 23, 21 02:24 PM
You are going to love these fudgy chocolate hazelnut lava cakes. Serve them with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream!
May 16, 21 12:56 PM
These summer flatbread pizza comes together quickly. It's loaded with colourful summer veggies plus mozzarella. Easy summer meal!
May 06, 21 09:42 AM
These fudgy hazelnut brownies are a true paradise for chocolate lovers. Rich and decadent and enriched with toasted hazelnuts, these brownies are best served with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream.