Cookies | Hazelnuts | Chocolate
Hazelnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies
These cookies are the best when just from the oven as the chocolate is still melty. The hazelnuts add a nice crunch to these soft cookies. Enjoy them with a cup of warm milk!
This webpage contains affiliate links. Please view our disclosure policy for more details.
Who doesn't love hazelnuts, especially when they are toasted and in combination with dark chocolate. You can find all these in our nutty chocolate chunk cookies full of hearty flavours.
These cookies are soft but also crunchy on the top thanks to the coarsely chopped hazelnuts we used in the recipe. Cookies are just perfect for those fall and winter months when everybody cuddle on the sofa and enjoy warm tea along homemade cookies. Let's check how to make these amazing cookies.
We love hazelnuts
Hazelnuts are the star of this recipe, as they give amazing nutty flavour. In this recipe, we enriched the dough with ground toasted hazelnuts.
Also, we topped cookies with chopped hazelnuts, and once baked they gives amazing scent and flavour. For those who love hazelnuts in cookies, we suggest our recipes for chocolate-dipped hazelnut cookies or classic Italian baci di dama cookies.
More cookie recipes you will love:
How to make hazelnut chocolate chunk cookies
Making these yummy cookies is so easy and quickly. You don't have even to use mixer, as we use melted butter in this recipe.
- First prepare HAZELNUTS by toasting them in the oven, then ground half of the amount while other half coarsely chop. Cut CHOCOLATE into chunks and set aside.
- Mix PLAIN FLOUR with GROUND HAZELNUTS, BAKING SODA and SALT in one bowl. In another whisk MELTED BUTTER, BOTH SUGARS, EGG YOLK and VANILLA EXTRACT and add some GRATED ORANGE ZEST. Now pour this into flour and stir using spatula. Fold chocolate and stir again until combined.
- Scoop with a tablespoon dough and roll into balls (size of walnut). Press each ball into chopped hazelnuts and arrange balls on the cookie sheet with 3-4 cm apart. These cookies are baked only 7-8 minutes, and they are still very soft when taken from the oven. Leave them on the tray for 4-5 minutes - they will harden as they cool. Your cookies are ready to enjoy!
Best selling kitchen tools
Useful baking tip
Cookies will still look under-baked once you take them from the oven. But this is fine, they will set and firm up as they cool. They only need 7-8 minutes in the oven, and will firm up quite a bit as they cool.
Storing hazelnut chocolate chunk cookies
These cookies stay fresh if stored in an airtights container for up to 1 week. They will look great in this glass cookie jar on your kitchen counter.
For making these cookies ahead, make the dough and keep in the fridge for up to 4 days. Unbaked cookie dough balls freeze well for up to 3 months. Bake frozen cookie dough balls for an extra minute.
Looking for more cookie recipes? Take a look at these:
Hazelnut Chocolate Chunk Cookies
MAKES: 24 cookies
COOKS IN: 1 hour plus cooling time
- 160g hazelnuts (1 1/8 cup)
- 200g plain flour (1 2/3 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch of salt
- 154g butter (11 tbsp), cubed
- 125g demerara sugar (1/2 cup + 2 tbsp)
- 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 170g dark chocolate chunks 55-65% (6 ounces)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (320°F). Spread hazelnuts on a baking sheet and toast for 7-8 minutes until lightly browned and fragrant. Remove from the oven and place nuts in a clean tea towel and gently rub together until the most of the skin comes off. Once cooled, coarsely chop the hazelnuts on a cutting board. Set aside.
- Line the baking sheet with baking paper and rise the oven temperature on 180°C (356°F).
- Combine the flour, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan on a low heat.
- In a heatproof bowl whisk together egg yolk, melted butter, sugars, vanilla extract and grated orange zest.
- Fold flour into wet ingredients stir with silicon spatula until completely combined. Fold in prepared chocolate and stir until everything combined.
- Using a tablespoon scoop the dough into balls of the size of walnuts, top each ball with coarsely chopped hazelnuts and arrange them on a baking sheet, leaving 3-4 cm between each ball.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes or until browned on the top and around the sides. Remove from the oven and allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for 3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely. Cookies crisp up as they cool.