HOME > DESSERTS > PASTRIES & TARTS
Hazelnut Puff Pastry Twists
If you are looking for a simple and quick dessert, then these flaky twists are just the thing. Making these is super easy, as the recipe features ready-made puff pastry and simple filling made of toasted hazelnuts and marzipan with a dash of Amaretto and citrus zest.
For another simple dessert recipes, try our lemony twists filled with blueberries.
This webpage contains affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
More tasty recipes
you'll want to try:
What you'll need for the filling
What makes these easy puff pastry twists delicious is filling made of ground toasted hazelnuts, marzipan, brown sugar and an egg, all scented with with refreshing citrus zest and a dash of Amaretto.
The flavour of toasted hazelnuts pairs great with almondy notes of marzipan and Amaretto liqueur. Blitz the hazelnuts in a mini food-processor or grind them in nut grinder, it's up to you. Just grind them very finely.
Spreading the filling
We used fresh rolled puff pastry but feel free to use frozen one if you like. The dimensions of our puff pastry was 26x40cm. Roll out the pastry then cut into two.
Brush one piece with water and spread the filling evenly using a spoon. Top with another piece of pastry, then using a sharp knife cut into 1-1.5cm long strips. Half each strip and twist to expose the filling then place on the baking sheet.
Baking hazelnut twists
These hazelnut twists only take 10 minutes to bake. Preheat the oven temperature to 200°C/392°F and bake until they are puffed and golden.
Don't open the oven during the baking time. Take them from the oven dust with some icing sugar and enjoy immediately. Serve while still warm!
A few of our favourite dessert recipes:
Hazelnut Puff Pastry Twists
MAKES: 22 twists
COOKS IN: 35 minutes
- 1 fresh rolled puff pastry (300g)
- 100g (3/4 cup) hazelnuts
- 100g marzipan, cutted into smaller pieces
- 1 egg
- 30g (1/8 cup) brown or caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto or rum
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon grated orange or lemon zest
- icing sugar, for dusting
- 1 egg, for the egg wash
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F. Arrange the hazelnuts in a single layer on baking tray and toast for about 8-10 minutes, stirring them every 2-3 minutes. They are done when they are fragrant and their skin cracked. Remove from the oven and rub them in the kitchen towel until the skin comes off. Cool nuts completely and blitz in the food processor until finely ground. Set aside.
- Rise the oven temperature to 200°C/392°F. Line the baking sheet with baking paper.
- Place ground hazelnuts in a medium bowl then add marzipan, egg, brown sugar, Amaretto, cardamom and citrus zest and stir with a spoon or a fork until smooth mixture forms.
- Unroll your puff pastry and cut into two vertically. Take the one half, brush with the water then spread evenly the hazelnut mixture. Cover with another half and press gently. Place in the fridge for about 10 minutes.
- Using a sharp knife cut the pastry into stripes 1.5x15cm. Twist each stripe several times then arrange twists on the baking sheet. You will need to bake these in two batches.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the twists are puffed and golden. Take them from the oven, leave to cool for a few minutes then dust with some icing sugar.
CATEGORIES: Pastries & Tarts, Puff Pastry, Quick & Easy
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.