You will love these simple chips made from homemade tortillas. These great snack are ideal for nibbling throughout the day. So easy to make!
Homemade version of tortilla chips are far less oily and salt, making them a much healthier choice. Also these recipe is for those who choose to bake chips instead of deep-frying. We are making these chips with homemade tortillas similar to our simple flour tortillas but with more corn flour.
Try also these tasty recipes:
how to make baked tortilla chips
Making homemade tortilla chips is so easy and rewarding. With this recipe you will get a batch of crisp tasty snacks flavoured with sweet paprika.
First make tortillas from few simple ingredients - including plain and corn flours. You will need only 20 minutes to do this. Just combine all ingredients in one bowl and knead until you get soft ball of dough. Divide into 6 pieces and roll each piece thinly using a rolling pin. Cook tortillas on the frying pan until they puff up and have a dark spots on the surface. Once they are ready you can start to make tortilla chips.
baking the chips in the oven
Pile the tortillas and cut them using a sharp knife into wedges. First cut into half, then each half again into half and continue until you get 8 wedges from each tortilla.
Arrange wedges onto baking tray and lightly brush the tops with olive oil. You will need more trays, or do this in several batches on one tray. Sprinkle with some salt.
Bake in the oven for 8 - 10 minutes or until they become crisp and slightly brown. Take them from the oven and cool on the tray. Our homemade tortillas spices with sweet paprika are ready to enjoy!
storing Baked tortilla chips
If you're not eating them right away, store in an airtight plastic bag or container. Homemade chips are especially susceptible to getting stale.
looking for more snack recipes?
Baked tortilla chips
MAKES: 22 tortilla chips
COOKS IN: 1 hour plus cooling time
- 100g (3/4 cup + 1 tbsp) plain flour
- 105g (3/4 cup + 2 tbsp) corn flour (flour that's milled from dried corn kernels)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 45ml (3 tbsp) sunflower oil
- 120ml (1/2 cup) water, lukewarm
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil, for brushing
- ground sweet paprika and salt for seasoning
- FOR MAKING TORTILLAS, Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in one bowl.
- Pour over oil and warm water and stir until the dough comes together. Transfer to the floured work surface and knead for about 4 - 5 minutes or until you make a smooth ball of dough. Cover with clean kitchen towel and leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces and roll each piece as thinly as possible on a floured work surface using a rolling pin.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Cook tortillas one at the time for 1 - 2 minutes on each side until the tortilla begins to form air bubbles and has dark spots. Transfer them to a plate and cover with another plate or wrap with aluminium foil to keep warm.
- FOR MAKING CHIPS, preheat the oven to 180°C (356°F) and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Place tortillas in one pile onto cutting board and using a sharp knife cut your tortillas into half. Cut halves again in half and cut each of those in half again, forming wedges.
- Arrange the tortillas wedges in a single layer on prepared baking trays. Brush each wedge with olive oil on the top side, then sprinkle with a pinch or two salt over the tops. Sprinkle with some sweet paprika.
- Bake in the oven for about 8 - 10 minutes. Watch out carefully so chips don't burn ad it is very thin. The chips are done when the edges are crisp and dry and slightly lifted from the tray. The chips will crisp more as they cool.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool on the trays. Once the chips is cool, remove them from the tray and place in the serving bowl.