Home > Snacks & Nibbles
Homemade Baked Potato Chips
Love crispy potato chips? Follow our recipe and make a bunch of tasty homemade potato chips baked in the oven, so you don't feel guilty while eating them.
If you love veggie chips don't skip our recipes for sweet potato chips and carrot chips both baked in the oven.
This webpage contains affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
One of the best things is that you can make a bunch of chips, whenever you want. You just need a few POTATOES, some OLIVE OIL and your favourite SEASONING.
Once baked, these chips are ideal healthy nibble at home or picnic or a great side-dish served along juicy burger, steak or hot dogs. We love to enjoy them with our glazed chicken drumsticks.
To make the perfect homemade chips just follow out instructions below.
More tasty snacks
How to make baked potato chips
Making homemade potato chips is so easy. First you will need to prepare potatoes by scrubbing them with a vegetable brush then rinse under the water and dry.
The trick to the perfect potato chips is to cut the potatoes as thinly and possible. This is the easiest and quickest done using a mandolin slicer - with this utensils you will get even slices.
If you don't have mandolin slicer, you can do this on a wooden cutting board using a sharp kitchen knife. The result will be the same but you will need more time.
Baking potato chips
- For baking chips you will need a large baking sheet lined with baking paper. Once potatoes are sliced, place then in a bowl of cold water for 5 minutes then dry each slice with a kitchen paper to soak any moist from the surface. Arrange the slices in a single layer on the tray. Brush lightly each slice with olive oil using a pastry brush and season with some coarse salt.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then carefully remove from the oven and using tongs flip each one to other side and bake for another 5-6 minutes. The best OVEN TEMPERATURE for baking chips is around 190°C/374°F - 200°C/392°F depending on the oven. Try with these temperatures and check what works best for you.
KEEP AN EYE ON THE CHIPS WHILE BAKING AS THEY BAKE FAST TOWARDS THE END. Remove the one baked and leave the rest to bake for another 1-2 minutes. Leave potato chips to cool on the tray for a few minutes then remove to the bowl.
Your homemade potato chips will look great served in these pretty white bowls made of durable porcelain.
Seasoning options for baked potato chips
Spice the chips with your favourite spice or mix of spices. Here are a few ideas:
Storing homemade baked potato chips
Baked potato chips are best eaten right away, but you can store it in a container for 1-2 weeks.
A few of our favourite snack recipes:
Homemade Baked Potato Chips
MAKES: 2 servings
COOKS IN: 30 minutes
HANDY KITCHEN TOOLS:
- 400g potatoes (2 medium potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- coarse salt or other spices, for seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (392°F). Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Using a sharp knife or a mandolin slicer, thinly slice the potatoes to about 1mm. Place potatoes in a bowl of iced water for 5 minutes then pat the slices with paper towels to remove excess moisture.
- Place potatoes on the baking sheet and brush lightly slices on each side with olive oil. Potatoes should be placed in a single layer on the baking sheet leaving some spaces between the slices. Sprinkle with some salt.
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes. Turn each chips using a tongs and bake for another 6-8 minutes, keeping an eye on them so they don't overbake. Remove any that seems ready or about to burn.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and let cool for 2-3 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer to a bowl.
CATEGORIES: Snacks & Nibbles, Potato
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.