HOME > SNACKS & NIBBLES
Oregano Polenta Crackers
These simple homemade crackers are made with a combination of plain flour and polenta, which gives these crackers a golden glow and a nice crunch. Dried oregano gives extra aroma once crackers are baked.
These crackers are so versatile, enjoy them topped with cream cheese or tuna pâté, serve alongside hummus or just nibble on their own. They are so addictive and yummy!
We are sure you'll also love our crispy sunflower crackers and spelt oregano crackers. Or for something a bit different try our ham mozzarella pizza rolls or crispy pesto twists.
This webpage contains affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
More tasty recipes
you will love:
By following our recipe you can mix a dough in only 5 minutes. Add on rolling, cutting and baking, making an entire batch will still only take you about 30 minutes.
And when you can make your own crackers with this little effort that has way more taste and with whole food real ingredients, you'll never go back to buying them again.
How to make oregano polenta crackers
These cornmeal crackers are so quick and easy and you can experiment to find the exact combination of cracker thickness and baking time. Our recipe calls for a mix of flour and polenta which gives great crunchy texture and delicious flavour. Let's check how to make these crackers:
- Combine PLAIN FLOUR and POLENTA in a medium bowl, add a pinch of SALT and cubed BUTTER which should be rubbed into dry ingredients.
- Add DRIED OREGANO then slowly pour the water and work with your hands to make a dough.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface as thinly as possible and cut into desired shapes. Prick each cracker with fork a few times so prevent from puffing and bake them in the oven for about 5-6 minutes or until they start to brown. Obviously, baking time will depend on the thickness of crackers.
Storing oregano polenta crackers
Let the crackers cool completely before storing them in an airtight container. Store them in an air-tight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. You can make the crackers well in advance as they can be stored like this.
A few of our favourite snack recipes:
Oregano Polenta Crackers
MAKES: 56 crackers
COOKS IN: 30 minutes plus cooling time
HANDY KITCHEN TOOLS:
- 120g plain flour (1 cup)
- 100g cornmeal (polenta) (1/2 cup + 2 tbsp)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 70g butter (5 tbsp), cold
- 110ml water (1/3 cup + 2 tbsp)
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/347°F. Line the baking sheet with baking paper.
- Combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Add cubed butter and rub into the flours until it resembles coarse crumbs. You can do this with your fingertips or use a pastry cutter.
- Add dried oregano then pour the water and work with your hands until you get a compact dough. Leave the dough to rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Lightly flour work surface and roll out the dough thinly (0.5-1 mm). Cut into squares (4x4 cm) using a pastry wheel or a sharp knife. Feel free to cut into any other shape you like.
- Transfer crackers one by one onto a baking sheet and prick each cracker with fork a few times to prevent them from puffing up while baking. Bake for about 7-8 minutes or until crackers start to become lightly brown. Baking time will depend on how thin your crackers are. Transfer the crackers to a wire rack to cool completely.
CATEGORIES: Snacks & Nibbles, Polenta
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.