This webpage contains affiliate links. Please view our disclosure policy for more details.
FRIED DESSERTS | QUICK & EASY DESSERTS
Sweet Yogurt Fritters
Our recipe brings you simple sweet fritters, made with 7 basic ingredients. The batter is whipped up in only 5 minutes, and frying is also fast and easy. The fritters are amazingly soft and tangy thanks to the Greek yogurt added to the batter.
If you fancy small, fried bite-sized treats like these, we recommend you to try also our sweet ricotta fritters or Venetian frìtole, both so soft and addictive.
Making the batter
Once you have all the ingredients prepared, you will whip up the batter literally in a few minutes.
Combine FLOUR BAKING POWDER in one bowl, while in another whisk (using a balloon whisk) an EGG, SUGAR, GREEK YOGURT, SALT and finely grated LEMON ZEST. Gradually add flour to the egg/yogurt mixture and whisk again, until you get a thick dough.
More easy desserts
you'll want to try:
Frying the fritters
For the frying, fill deep frying pan with sunflower oil (3-4 cm deep) and heat to the 170°C (338°F). We suggest you to use a smaller pan so you don't need too much oil.
- Using a teaspoon, scoop up some batter and then using another teaspoon slide it into the hot oil. Fry for about 2-3 minutes, flipping them on their other side. Fry only 4-5 fritters at the same time. Overcrowding the pan will reduce the temperature of the oil, and the fritters will cook longer and soak up too much oil.
- Once they are golden brown, transfer them with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with kitchen paper. Wait for a minute, then dust with some icing sugar. Our delicious sweet yogurt fritters are ready to enjoy!
Useful frying tip
The oil for frying should be between 170°C (338°F) - 180°C (356°F). If the oil is too cold, the fritters will soak up too much oil. If the oil is too hot, the fritters will burn on the outside but remain uncooked in the middle.
If you don't have thermometer, just drop a pinch of batter into the oil. If it floats on the surface in a few seconds and browns slowly, the temperature is right. If it doesn't start bubbling, the oil is not ready. If it browns too quickly, the oil is too hot.
Serving ideas for sweet yogurt fritters
These little fritters are the best immediately upon frying. We love to dust them with some icing sugar and serve while still warm.
But the possibilities for serving them are endless - you can top them with melted white or dark chocolate or enjoy with a dollop of your favourite jam. They also pair excellently with zesty homemade lemon curd.
a few of our favourite dessert recipes:
Sweet Yogurt Fritters
MAKES: 24 small fritters
COOKS IN: 20 minutes
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 30g caster (fine) sugar (1/8 cup)
- 120g Greek yogurt (1/2 cup), at room temperature
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 105g plain flour (3/4 cup + 2 tbsp)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- sunflower oil, for frying
- Combine together flour and baking powder in a small bowl.
- In a medium bowl whisk together egg, caster sugar, Greek yogurt then add salt and finely grated lemon zest and whisk again.
- Gradually add flour to the egg/yogurt mixture and whisk until you get a smooth batter.
- Fill a medium-sized frying pan 2/3 full with sunflower oil and place over a low-medium heat, bringing the temperature to 170°C/338°F. When the oil is heated, using two teaspoons drop small portions of mixture into the oil. Fry 4-5 fritters at a time. Fry them for about 2-3 minutes or until they are lightly golden and puffed.
- Remove with a slotted spoon to the plate lined with kitchen paper to drain. Leave them for a few minutes, then dust with icing sugar and serve.
We recommend using the measurement in grams & ml (instead of cups & spoons) for more accuracy and better results.