Cookies | Chocolate
Double Chocolate Spelt Cookies
These decadent chocolate cookies are a chocolate lovers dream. Made with spelt and hazelnut flours and packed with quality dark chocolate, these cookies are ideal pair with a cup of warm milk.
This webpage contains affiliate links. Please view our disclosure policy for more details.
If you are fan of super rich chocolatey cookies, then these double chocolate cookies made with a mix of spelt and hazelnut flours are an ideal choice for you. They are amazingly nutty with brownie-like centers and each bite hides large chocolate chunks, which are the best parts of these cookies.
These cookies makes a great breakfast along a cup of warm milk. They also turn easily into a delicious dessert when served still warm with one scoop of vanilla ice-cream on the top. So yummy!
For a crunchy version of these cookies, try our double chocolate cookies packed with toasted hazelnuts.
More cookie recipes you will love:
What you'll need for double chocolate spelt cookies
These cookies are packed with wholesome ingredients making them super nutritious and delicious. They are not light cookies but rather dense and robust thanks to the mix of WHOLE GRAIN SPELT and HAZELNUT flours.
If you don't have one hand the spelt flour, feel free to use plain flour. You can also swap hazelnut flour for hazelnut meal or just skip it and use only spelt flour. Each of these options will work fine - just cookies will have slightly different texture.
Cookies are sweetened with DARK MUSCOVADO SUGAR, which gives them slightly caramel taste and chewy texture once combined with the rest of ingredients. For chocolate chunks, use good quality chocolate with at least 55% cocoa and unsweetened cocoa powder to make these cookies super chocolatey.
Handpicked Kitchen Essentials
for your cooking adventures!
How to make double chocolate spelt cookies
Making these cookies is a breeze once you have ready all the ingredients. You don't any special equipment - just a few mixing bowls and a balloon whisk. Let's see how to make these double chocolate cookies:
- Combine dry ingredients: Combine whole grain spelt flour, hazelnut flour (or hazelnut meal), cocoa powder (sifted), baking powder and salt in one bowl.
- Whisk wet ingredients: Whisk melted butter, muscovado sugar, egg, vanilla extract and finely grated citrus zest.
- Mix the two: Fold slowly dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir using silicon spatula until you get a smooth and sticky dough. Add chocolate chunks and stir until incorporated.
- Shape/Bake cookies: Scoop the dough of the size of large walnut and roll into balls. Place balls on the baking sheet, flatten slightly and bake for only 5-6 minutes. They should still be soft on touch when taken from the oven. Leave them to cool on the sheet shortly then transfer to a cooling rack. Your double chocolate spelt cookies are ready to dunk into a cup of warm milk!
Best selling kitchen tools
Storing & Making ahead double chocolate spelt cookies
Cookies are the best on the day they are made. If you have some leftover cookies store them in an airtight container for about 5 days. We love this cute glass cookie jar which will look great on your kitchen counter.
If you want to have fresh cookies, the best is to make a batch of cookie dough and refrigerate or freeze it, then just bake however many you plan to serve that day. Unbaked cookies dough balls freeze well for up to 3 months. Bake frozen cookie balls for an extra minute, no need to thaw.
Looking for more cookie recipes? Take a look at these:
Double Chocolate Spelt Cookies
MAKES: 18 cookies
COOKS IN: 30 minutes
- 80g spelt or whole spelt flour (2/3 cup)
- 32g hazelnut flour (1/3 cup)
- 20g unsweetened cocoa powder (1/4 cup)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 84g butter (6 tbsp), melted
- 75g dark muscovado sugar (1/4 cup + 2 tbsp)
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of grated lemon or orange zest
- 160g chocolate chunks (50-60%)
Ideal for baking perfect cookies and other baked goods!
- Preheat the oven to 175°C (347°F) and line 2 baking sheets with baking paper. You can bake the whole batch in 2 rounds.
- Combine whole grain spelt flour, hazelnut flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together sugar, melted butter, egg, vanilla extract and grated citrus zest in a large bowl.
- Fold flours into wet ingredients in two batches, stirring with silicon spatula until just combined. Fold in prepared chocolate and stir until everything combined.
- Using a tablespoon scoop the dough into balls of the size of large walnuts and arrange them on a baking tray, leaving 2-3 cm between each ball. The dough is slightly sticky, so expect to make a little mess on your hands as you shape the cookies. Flatten slightly each ball using your fingers. Press additional chocolate on the top of each ball for better look.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes until the edges are set. Remove from the oven, cool shortly on the tray then transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.