Lemony Easter Cookies
You will adore these super soft cookies with amazing lemon flavour and topped with lemon icing and colourful sprinkles. These cookies will be a great addition to your Easter cookie tray. Light, lemony and colourful, they will shine.
For another soft lemony cookies, why not to try our lemon cookies topped with crunchy almond flakes.
This webpage contains affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
Making the dough for lemony Easter cookies
Making the dough for these cookies is so easy and quick. But, first you'll need to prepare the ingredients. These cookies are shaped using a piping bag, so the dough should be soft and creamy. That's why the butter should be very soft.
OUR SIMPLE TRICK! Take the amount of butter you need, cut into smaller pieces and place into a mixing bowl together with cream cheese (covered), leave at room temperature (it will be ready in about 1 hour). Once the rest of the ingredients are prepared, you'll are set to go.
More Easter recipes
These cookies burst with refreshing lemon flavour
The lemon is the star of this recipes. So be sure to use organic lemons, as we'll be using a lots of lemon zest here. The small trick to enchance the flavour is to massage the zest into sugar using your fingertips until the sugar is tinted and very fragrant.
Plus, we'll be adding freshly lemon zest into icing we use on the top of the cookies.
3 easy steps for making the dough:
- COMBINING DRY INGREDIENTS: Stir plain flour, baking powder, cornstarch and salt in one bowl.
- BEATING WET INGREDIENTS: Cream the butter, cream cheese, granulated sugar for a few minutes, then add an egg and beat for another 1 minute.
- COMBINING THESE TWO: Add flour into several additions and mix until you get a soft dough.
Shaping the cookies...
Our lemony Easter cookies are piped using a piping bag. We love to use disposable piping bags which are fairly cheap and can be easily found in stores.
You'll also need plain round decorating tip, which makes piping the dough fairly easy. We used Wilton #2A tip, which can be purchased alone or as a part of Wilton set containing 8 piping bags and 4 large tips (very handy for every baker).
Once the dough is ready, spoon it into a piping bag using a tablespoon (be sure not to overfill). The best way is to fill in several additions. Now, pipe small 4cm mounds directly on the baking sheet (lined with baking paper), leaving 3-4 cm between so they have space for spreading while baking. Gently smooth the peaks with your finger.
ALTERNATIVE METHOD: In the case you don't have piping bag, just use a teaspoon to portion the dough and place on the sheet. The cookies will still be pretty!
Icing on the top...
These cookies wouldn't be complete without delicious lemony glaze on the top. It's made of:
- ICING SUGAR: be sure to sift it to get rid of lumps,
- LEMON JUICE: use freshly squeezed lemon juice,
- LEMON ZEST: aromatic oil from the zest elevates complete cookie flavour to the next level.
Once the cookies are cool, dip top of each one into the icing ensuring that the whole surface is covered. In the end, sprinkle generously with colourful candy sprinkles.
A few of our favourite cookie recipes:
Lemony Easter Cookies
MAKES: 40 cookies
COOKS IN: 40 minutes
For the cookies
- 280g plain flour (1 1/3 cup)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 pinch of salt
- 60g granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 210g butter (15 tbsp), very soft
- 180g cream cheese (3/4 cup), at room temperature
- 1 egg, at room temperature
For the glaze
- 150g icing sugar (1 1/4 cup), sifted
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/356°F and line 2 baking sheets with baking paper.
- Combine plain flour, baking powder, cornstarch and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine granulated sugar and lemon zest. Massage the zest into sugar with your fingertips until the sugar is tinted a light yellow and is very fragrant.
- Cream together softened butter, cream cheese and granulated sugar (together with lemon zest) with electric hand mixer on a medium-high speed, until light and creamy.
- Add the egg and continue to beat until well combined.
- Gradually add flour to the butter/egg mixture, mixing on a low speed to make a smooth dough.
- Spoon the dough into the piping bag fitted with plain round tip (such as Wilton #2A). Pipe small mounds (around 4 cm) onto a baking sheet, spacing about 2-3 cm apart. Bake for about 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned around edges. Transfer on baking paper to a wire rack, and let cool completely.
- Stir together icing sugar, lemon juice and lemon zest until you get a texture similar to paste but liquid. Dip top of the cookies into into glaze, ensuring that the whole surface is coated, then sprinkle with colourful candy sprinkles. Leave cookies on the baking sheet to set.
CATEGORIES: Cookies, Easter, Spring & Summer, Quick & Easy,
Lemon, Cream Cheese
More recipes you'll love:
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.