HOME > COOKIES
Salted Almond and
Dark Chocolate Cookies
These delicious cookies are proof that sweet and salty is a perfect combo. The cookies holds large pieces of salted roasted almonds and dark chocolate. The saltines from almonds works well in these crispy cookies packed with dark chocolate. These cookies are great for someone who want a kick of saltiness in the sweets.
This webpage contains affiliate links. Please read our disclosure policy.
you'll want to try:
We paired the salty and nutty flavour of salted roasted almonds with rich dark chocolate. We love to use high-quality dark chocolate bar, chopped up into large chunks on a cutting board.
The results are divine cookies packed with large pockets of melty dark chocolate and salty almonds. These cookies are show stoppers, especially when just from the oven.
The soft dough with slightly caramel flavours (thanks to the muscovado sugar) packed with large metly chocolate chunks and salty roasted almonds.
Ingredients you'll need
- PLAIN FLOUR, CORNSTARCH, BAKING POWDER and SALT: All these are combined together in a bowl. A tablespoon of cornstarch adds softness to the cookies, while some baking powder make them puffier. A pinch of salt balance the flavour.
- BUTTER: Just be sure to take the butter from the fridge 1 hour before baking (it should be soften enough to be beaten by hand mixer). Cut the butter into thin slices and it will be soon ready for beating.
- DARK MUSCOVADO SUGAR: We love dark muscovado sugar in the cookie dough (dark and sticky) which brings deep caramel flavour to the cookies.
- EGG YOLKS: We'll be using only egg yolks, so the cookies won't spread too much and will be dense once cooled. Leave the egg whites for Sicilian almond cookies or chocolate amaretti cookies.
- SALTED ROASTED ALMONDS: Chop them coarsely then add to the dough. Shop almonds easily online!
- DARK CHOCOLATE: Using high quality chocolate really makes a difference in the taste of these cookies. Nestle 64% chocolate bar is one of our favourites for baking, with rich flavour that melts beautifully when chopped up in cookies like this. Use any other brand you love and trust and you can find the your grocery store (Baker's chocolate, Lindt, Ghirardelli, Guittard, Valrhona).
4 easy steps for making the dough:
The dough comes together easily and quickly. Just be sure to take the butter from the fridge 1 hour before baking (it should be soften enough to be beaten by hand mixer).
- Combine plain flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- The next step is beating softened butter with muscovado sugar until fluffy. Now, add egg yolks and grated lemon zest and beat again for 1 minute.
- Add flour in several additions to the beaten butter on a low speed.
- In the end add chopped salted almonds and dark chocolate chunks and knead with your hands until compact dough forms. Our dough is ready now for shaping! See the next step below!
Shaping & Baking the cookies
To shape the cookies, just pinch the dough (2 tablespoons per cookie) and using your palms roll into balls. Wrap balls with aluminium foil or clingfilm and keep in the freezer for 20 minutes (this way cookies will keep the shape and stay thick, which we need here).
USEFUL TIP! Press a few chunks of chocolate into the top of each dough ball to make them prettier once baked.
These cookies are ideal for making ahead. Just, make the dough, shape the cookies and once they are firm enough place them in a plastic freezer bag. Once you want to bake them, thaw for 10 minutes and bake as usual.
You have cookies at any time you crave for something sweet or unexpected guests pop over.
A few of our favourite cookie recipes:
Salted Almond and Dark Chocolate Cookies
MAKES: 18 cookies
COOKS IN: 30 minutes
- Combine the plain flour, cornstarch, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- In a large bowl, beat softened butter with muscovado sugar until creamy, 2 to 3 minutes. Add egg yolks and grated lemon zest and continue to beat on a high speed for about 40-50 seconds until smooth.
- Mixing on a low speed, add flour in 2-3 additions until the large crumbs form.
- Add chopped salted almonds and dark chocolate chunks, then using your hands knead a compact dough (1-2 minutes).
- Pinch the dough (about 2 tablespoons) and roll into even balls. Wrap into aluminium foil or clingfilm and place in the freezer for 20-25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/356°F and line baking sheet with baking paper or silicone baking mats.
- Arrange balls on the baking sheet with 2cm between each ball (these cookies won't spread much). Press a few chunks of dark chocolate into the top of each ball for a prettier cookie.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the tops are lightly brown. The cookies will still be soft once baked. Let them cool on the cookie sheet for 3-4 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely. Enjoy warm or store in an airtight container for up to 5 days. Wrap in plastic wrap or waxed paper and store in the freezer for up to 1 month.
CATEGORIES: Cookies, Chocolate
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.