This webpage contains affiliate links. Please view our disclosure policy for more details.
Bread & Pizza
These simple flatbreads are an impressive addition to any sharing platter. They're surprisingly easy to cook and need just a handful of ingredients.
These dough for these flatbreads is a mixture of plain and whole grain spelt flours, baking powder, salt and buttermilk. Since there's no yeast involved, there's no rise time to wait out. Just give the mixture 30 minutes to hydrate and relay. Why not to try our soft homemade flatbreads made with a mix of plain and buckwheat flours.
Why you'll love sesame flatbreads
These easy flatbreads are soft, airy and ready at the same time dinner is on the table. These flatbreads have tenderness from the buttermilk and char from the hot oil in the pan. We added sesame seeds to enrich the flavour and make them super tasty.
These sesame flatbreads are ideal for dipping into hummus, topping with grilled eggplant and cherry tomatoes or spreading with ricotta cheese. They are so easy to make, even easier to eat and better than any packaged flatbread you can get in a grocery store.
More tasty recipes you'll love:
How to make sesame flatbreads
Making these sesame flatbreads is so simple, you will only need one bowl.
- Prepare a mix of plain and whole grain spelt flours and stir it with baking powder, salt and sesame seeds.
- Next, pour the buttermilk (which is a great addition as it adds tenderness to the dough) and stir into the flours using a wooden spoon until you get a smooth dough. You may need more or less buttermilk, depending on the kind of flours you use.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces, then flatten each one to the small circle, 6cm in diameter and 2mm thick. Brush them with olive oil and cook on a hot frying pan or cast iron pan. Cook on each side for 1-2 minutes until they are lightly puffed and charred. Serve while still warm with your favourite dip!
A few of our favourite snack recipes:
MAKES: 12 small flatbreads
COOKS IN: 45 Minutes
LEVEL: Super easy
- Combine plain and whole grain spelt flours, baking powder, sesame seeds and sea salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre, then pour in the buttermilk. Using a wooden spoon, stir until you have a soft compact dough. Turn the dough onto a floured work space and gently knead for about 2-3 minutes. Cover the dough and leave to rest for about 15 minutes.
- Roll small handfuls of dough into balls and using a rolling pin roll out the balls into flat circles.
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan until really hot. Brush the flatbread with olive oil, then put in the pan with oil-side down. Cook for 2-3 minutes each side until bubbles appear or the surface is brown. The flatbread should be slightly charred. Continue cooking the remaining flatbreads. Wrap them in foil and keep warm in a low oven until ready to serve, or serve at room temperature.
We recommend using the measurement in grams & ml (instead of cups & spoons) for more accuracy and better results.