Cookies | Sweet Potato | Chocolate
Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Cookies
Who wouldn't love these super soft sweet potato chocolate chip cookies packed with healthy ingredients full of melty chocolate pockets! You will not be able to stop at just one!
This webpage contains affiliate links. Please view our disclosure policy for more details.
Is there anything better than super soft cookie with a loads of chocolate? We would like to share an amazing recipe for cookies like this packed with healthy ingredients and so yummy you won't stop at only one.
Sweet potato chocolate chips cookies are so soft that they reminds of little clouds filled with melted chocolate. Once you bite in the cookie, your taste buds with be happy with combination of flavours - sweet potatoes, rich dark chocolate and a hint of cloves in the end!
If you love these cookies, you will also love our almond flour chocolate chip cookies.
Why you'll love sweet potato chocolate chip cookies
Creamy sweet potato mash is what makes sweet potato chocolate chip cookies so special and delicious. It adds softness to the texture and sweetness which pairs perfectly with muscovado sugar we used in the recipe.
Beside plain flour this recipe calls for whole grain spelt flour and instant oat flakes, making these cookies nutritiously rich. For this recipe we used large chocolate chunks, so each bite is loaded with pockets of melted dark chocolate, what makes these cookies so addictive.
The easiest way to make sweet potato mash
The secret of these cookies is sweet potato mash, which fits great in baked goods. It makes our chocolate chip muffins so delicious, as well as our almond flour cookies.
The easiest way to make the mash is to pierce sweet potatoes few times with a fork and bake in the oven for about 40-50 minutes, depending on the size of the sweet potatoes. You will know they are ready once you can easily insert a fork into the flash. Once potatoes are cooled, remove the skin and mash the potatoes using potato masher.
How to make sweet potato chocolate chip cookies
Once you have sweet potato mash ready, it's so easy to make the sweet potato chocolate chip cookies.
- Combine all dry ingredients in one bowl - plain and whole grain spelt flours, instant oat flakes, baking soda, salt and a ground cloves for this subtle flavour.
- Beat butter and muscovado sugar for a few minutes, then add egg, sweet potatoe mash and vanilla extract and beat for 1-2 minutes until smooth and combined.
- Now fold dry ingredients gradually into the wet ingredients using silicon spatula. Add chocolate chunks and stir until combined. You will find out that the dough is very sticky which is typical for cookies made with sweet potatoes or pumpkin. Cool it in the fridge for 20 minutes.
Use a medium cookie scoop to form mounds on the baking sheet, flatten slightly each one and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes.
Top tip for making sweet potato chocolate chip cookies
Once baked cookies will be very soft so leave them on the tray to cool for 10 minutes then you can enjoy them as they are the best while still slightly warm and chocolate is melted.
Best selling kitchen tools
How to store sweet potato chocolate chip cookies
Sweet potato chocolate chip cookies need to be completely cool before they are stored. If you store them while they're still warm, they will become soggy. Once cooled, store them in a glass cookie jar at room temperature for up to 7 days.
Looking for more cookies to try? Check these out:
Sweet Potato Chocolate Chip Cookies
COOKS IN: 1 hour 10 minutes plus cooling time
- 200g sweet potato mash (400g sweet potatoes)
- 120g plain flour (1 cup)
- 120g whole grain spelt flour (1 cup)
- 60g instant oat flakes (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 tablespoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 110g butter (8 tbsp)
- 60g dark muscovado sugar (1/4 cup + 2 tbsp)
- 1 egg, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 200g dark chocolate 60-70% (7 ounces) cutted into chunks
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/392°F and line baking sheets with baking paper.
- For the sweet potato mash, prick the sweet potatoes with a fork few times and bake in the oven for about 35-40 minutes or until you can easily insert a fork. Allow to cool for a few minutes then remove the skin and mash using a potato masher or a fork. Reduce the oven temperature to 175°C/347°F and replace baking paper with new and clean one.
- In a medium bowl combine plain and whole grain spelt flours, instant rolled oats, baking soda, ground clove and salt.
- Chop the dark chocolate into chunks using a sharp knife.
- In a large mixing bowl, using electric hand mixer beat the softened butter and muscovado sugar until smooth, then beat in an egg. Add sweet potato mash and vanilla extract and beat for 1 minute until combined.
- Fold gradually dry ingredients into the butter/egg mixture using a silicon spatula. Add chopped chocolate and stir until evenly distributed. Place the dough in the fridge for about 20 minutes.
- Take the dough and using a medium cookie scoop form round, even scoops on baking tray leaving some space between. Gently flatten each scoop using a fork.
- Bake in the oven for about 8-10 minutes or until slightly crisp on the outside. Be sure not to overbake them. Cookies will be very soft so leave them on the tray for 5-6 minutes to cool then transfer to a cooling rack with thin metal spatula.
We recommend using the measurement in grams & ml (instead of cups & spoons) for more accuracy and better results.